External Monitor Caused MAJOR Issues, need help ASAP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by maXairmike, Jun 21, 2009.

1. maXairmike macrumors newbie

So I was about to run VMWare to run Windows for a specific task, and as usual connected my external Dell monitor to my MacBook Pro (August 2007 Santa Rosa model) via the DVI to VGA adapter. I haven't really had any major problems with this setup in the past, so the following issue really worries me.

The first problem was that it didn't detect the right resolution, it normally sizes right up to the proper 1280x1024 resolution. This time however, it went to a funky 1156x??? that didn't quite fill up the screen. So I closed out of everything and shut down. When I restarted, it seemed everything was okay and got to the Apple logo, but then a "slide down" effect happened and the entire screen tinted completely blue with odd vertical blue lines of varying thickness. Then the translucent box saying to restart your computer popped up. I restarted, and this time instead of the whole screen getting the blue tinted vertical lines, it was confined to the Apple logo, and once again I got the translucent box with the restart message. So I powered down once again, but decided to unhook the external display. It looked like that did the trick, as it started up like normal.

So now that I'm up and running perfectly fine, I plug back in my external monitor. Once again, I notice it isn't going directly to the proper resolution, so I manually select the 1280x1024 resolution, and seem to be going on my happy way when all of a sudden both displays start going crazy. Both displays start flashing and all that good stuff (mostly along the bottom half of the displays). Oh crap, this isn't good. So I immediately shut down and then unhook the display from my MBP.

I then try to start up my MBP without the display attached, and now I'm getting the same blue tinted screen with blue tinted vertical lines, and then getting the translucent restart box. I tried 3 more times, each time getting either the completely blue tinted and lined screen, or just the lines in the Apple logo with a translucent restart box.One other thing that happened on another startup was that it did seem to boot properly, but before I got to the account select screen (I set up a guest account in addition to the main account), the mouse pointer became a wide blinking white bar. I restarted again and got the blue screen and lines.

Could my video card (one of the crappy NVIDIAs) have finally fried, or is this completely unrelated?

2. qacjared macrumors regular

Could it?

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS2377

3. maXairmike thread starter macrumors newbie

I've already read that page, but since I can't get past the startup process, I can't tell if there are any additional graphics issues. I'm running the extended Hardware Test right now, so maybe that will tell me if its a hardware issue with the video card. Not to mention, the closest Apple Store is a 2 hour drive, and a lot of gas since a lot of driving is on backed up city streets.

Anyone else run into this issue before, or something similar that has a 2.4GHz 8600GTM MBP?

Just thought I'd mention this extra bit of info: Running the Hardware Test from the CD that came with the laptop, I haven't encountered any graphical issues yet once I was actually running from the CD. Before it got to the Hardware test screen, it showed what was supposed to be a black screen with a blinking typing indicator, but of course with the blue-ish vertical stripes down the screen.

4. maXairmike thread starter macrumors newbie

Update: I just finished the extended Hardware Test, and it claims nothing is wrong, but I'm pretty sure there's an issue with the video card now. I just started up all the way to my desktop and thought I would need to underclock/up the fan speed, but I think I'm beyond that. I came back out to the living room to start typing that I was able to successfully start up only to walk back into my room to find the screen blinking wildly and the vertical blue-ish lines appearing at the top and bottom of the screen (after maybe 30 sec. out in the living room).

Does anyone know if its better to take it into an Apple Store, or will an Authorized Retailer/Repair store do (I have an authorized in Ft. Wayne, where I take classes just an hour away instead of driving two hours to Indy for the Apple Store)?

5. Lanbrown macrumors 6502a

They are authorized. Chances are, both will be doing the same repair job.

6. maXairmike thread starter macrumors newbie

So I know I'm getting kernel panic messages, but I've never gotten messages with graphical issues before, and I don't always get a kernel panic message when I have the graphical issues. I've tried various troubleshooting tips last night and this morning, but to no avail. The few times I manage to get to the login screen or even to my desktop, I don't get a kernel panic, but do get the graphical issues.

My question now is does this sound like a combination hardware/software problem, or is this just the most bizarre kernel panic ever? Went looking for kernel panic descriptions and pictures on the web, but couldn't find any descriptions or images that matched my issue. My feeling is that it is a hardware AND software issue, with the software issue caused by failing hardware. Does that sound right?