external monitor causes high temp?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Temaki, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Temaki macrumors newbie

I connected my MBA to a LCD TV via thunderbolt HDMI and i feel that my MAC is getting hotter. the temp is always ~65 C and fan RPM ~5200 even though i dont run any CPU hungry app. normally the temp remains at 50 C/ 2000rpm.
    so does dual monitor cause this? its really annoying with the sound of the fan when its over 4000rpm. guess i need to remove the external monitor?
    thank you

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Two displays = more work for the GPU = more heat. It's perfectly normal for it to be somewhat hotter. There may also be other factors at work.
    1. Launch Activity Monitor
    2. Change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes"
    3. Click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top).
    4. Click on the System Memory tab at the bottom.
    5. Take a screen shot of the whole Activity Monitor window, then scroll down to see the rest of the list, take another screen shot
    6. Post your screenshots.

3. Temaki thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your quick reply
    i got it. im just paranoid coz while watching youtube the temp goes up to 95 C/ 6500 rpm :eek: if i close youtube or flash etc the temp is normal (60 C/3000 rpm). guess i have to live with it.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) Some have reported better performance with HTML5, while some have reported worse. Try it and find out what works best for you.