External monitor causing MBP not to wake up

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Figory, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Figory macrumors member

Hi

I have a mac book pro OSX 10.8.2

Also a cinema screen (older style)

All was well, but I think its since updating to Lion that my laptop no longer wakes up from sleep and I have to re boot every time. ( This does not happen when my external monitor is not plugged in.)

Is there anything I can do about this ?

Any advice greatly appreciated. Thanks

2. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

I've found that if I let my laptop go to sleep in clamshell while connected to my thunderbolt displays that if I disconnect the laptop while it's alseep, when I go to wake it up then sometimes it wakes to black screen, as if it's still in clamshell. That only happens sometime, but I think the best way to be safe is wake it back up while it's still connected to the monitor and then disconnect it.

3. JosephBergdoll macrumors 6502

I'm having this same issue, and it has nothing to do with running it in clamshell mode. When connected to ANY external display (I have multiple and have tested on all of them, with different connectors as well) and using the alt+cmd+eject, it cannot be woken up unless I force a shutdown by holding the power button. I have reset the SMC numerous times, turned off "wake for network access" etc… no dice. Very frustrating considering I rarely use my computer away from a desk.