external monitor, closed macbook?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by thomahawk, Jun 18, 2009.

1. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

So i bought a 23inch Acer H233H i love it, its really nice monitor

however i hear that having your macbook closed is bad for it? i have the white 2.1ghz one (early 2008?) i'd like to close it and stuff to save space or what not.

in addition to that. how can i turn on the macbook without openening it if its safe to keep it closed while running off my external montor?

thanks

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Just make sure that it is well ventilated where your MacBook will be as it will run hotter while closed. Mac laptops ventilate air out the back so it is crucial to leave the space behind your MacBook clear.

There is an option for USB/Bluetooth devices to wake the computer from sleep, but you will need to manually open the laptop to turn it on.

3. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

:apple:^ Exactly what he said.

To start, plug in your monitor. Go into settings and hit detect displays. Then your external monitor will come on. Once it is on, you should be able to shut your laptop's screen.

Then, as long as you have a USB or Bluetooth keyboard/mouse - just hit a key or wiggle the mouse to wake the laptop.

4. halfbelgian macrumors member

halfbelgian

There are a ton of threads in the macbook pro section dealing with this issue (search for clamshell mode) and I'm guessing the macbook section has many as well.

Bottom line seems to be, regarding the pro's at least, that since :apple: explicitly describes how to run in clamshell mode ie. closed cover, then it must be ok.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131?viewlocale=en_US

5. arun.cherian macrumors newbie

here is the official apple link addressing this issue:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3131?viewlocale=en_US

Though.. what's surprising in my case.. is that after connecting the external keyboard, mouse and monitor.. once i close the macbook.. i need to wait a good 20 seconds and then pressing the keyboard/mouse activates the monitor.. This works consistently for me, i'm guessing this is about the time my laptop takes to sleep and then wake up... funny but it works