External monitor display issues...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ckeck, Apr 15, 2008.

1. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

I have had this issue in the past with an older MBP and a different external monitor and its very frustrating. Here is the problem...

I just sold my 24" iMac because I never used the thing for anything other than web surfing. ALL of my work is done on my MBP so whenever I needed to actually do something important I had to pull it out anyways. So now that my iMac is gone, I purchased a high end monitor from Dell, the 2408WFP.

So I hook everything up last night...plug in the external monitor via HDMI and it shows up as a second monitor ok, but it doesn't appear to run at full resolution. I went into the display preferences and sure enough, it was set as 1900x1200 (or something similar) but the screen did not appear right.

I then tried using it as the main display, but this caused even more problems. The resolution would stay real low and the graphics look like crap, even though it says its running at 1900x1200, which its not.

How do I fix this? I have to be missing something, but I don't know what exactly...any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

A stupid question. How did you hook it up via HDMI? The MBP has DVI out, not HDMI. Is there a converter or something involved. Could that be the problem?

3. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Whoops...brain fart...I meant DVI. I was looking at some TV specs on Amazon right before I posted this and somehow HDMI got stuck in my head :eek:

4. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

It's odd that the screen would look bad when System Preferences is saying it is displaying at the proper resolution.

Maybe you should try some different settings, just to see how the lower resolutions look. You might be able to figure out what resolution is actually being displayed, or if there's some other problem, etc. (maybe it's not the resolution that's making it look bad.)

5. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

DVI-D and HDMI are more or less 'interchangeable'. Roughly speaking, HDMI is like DVI plus sound. So adapters are pretty cheap, they just change the pin configuration (obviously sound is lost though.)

My Sony HDTV has a DVI input, so I needed proper cables/adapters to attach my DVD player and cable box which have HDMI outputs.)

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

leave the monitor unplugged, restart the computer, then plug it in after it boots OSX, i was having a similar issue and i think that fixed it

7. ckeck thread starter macrumors 6502a

ckeck

It appears another users is having similar problems and posted just after I did...now I don't feel so bad but I would certainly like to know what the issue is :confused:

Are there specific Mac drivers for these monitors that should be loaded?