External monitor - DVI or HDMI?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Abazigal, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Hi all,

I am considering getting an external monitor to hook up to my macbook air at work. I will be doing mainly word processing, web-surfing and viewing of documents as a teacher, and would appreciate the ability to have multiple windows open on the same screen.

This also means I will need to get an adaptor for my laptop. Which would be better? I have done some reading online, but my search has proven inconclusive.

Basically, people are claiming that HDMI and DVI are essentially the same thing (I am not very particular about lack of sound; I will likely be using earphones when listening to audio so as not to disturb my colleagues anyways, but if I can get built-in speakers, why not?). However, some are claiming that the colour on the screen from a HDMI display seems off or inferior somehow.

Also, several of the latest monitors I see on sale (like the Samsung S23B370H) seem to sport only a hdmi port, which seems to suggest that HDMI is the superior technology somehow. :confused:

I will be bringing my air down to the shop this weekend to test, but would like to hear your input on this in the meantime. What are your experiences with monitors and which type of connection would you recommend?

Thank you for your feedback. :)

2. fz750, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2013

fz750 macrumors newbie

From my 2012 Macbook pro 13.3" (non retina) HDMI was not very successful, somewhat smudged and unclear text, very disappointing..

Using DVI it's perfect.

My son has the same issue with his mac mini, but he lives with it..

Both screens used are Samsung (24" and 21" reap.) and look great using DVI from either pc or mac.

Kevin

3. Arman macrumors regular

Theoretically they are the same. It's a digital signal. HDMI is designed with more bandwidth so it can include Audio. Having said that, there is a software and driver component to the story which can occasionally create some difficulties as was demonstrated on the Mac Mini.