external monitor flickering

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by paolo-, Mar 15, 2009.

?

Does your external monitor go blank every odd time ?

1. yes

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. no

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. paolo- macrumors 6502a

My external sreen, LG w2241t, doesn't really like my unibody macbook. Every odd time it just goes completely black for less then a second (a couple of times an hour).

This problem is known and quite well documented on the apple help forum, it seems the MB doesn't recognize some screens properly. Like, the refresh rate at witch it's running the display is 59.9 hertz when it should be 60 hertz, but maybe there are other problem in the recognition. There also seems to be no way to fix this as many tried and some got it troubleshooted with apple with no avail.

So I'm wondering if anyone else is getting this problem on macRumours.

I guess I should call apple, just that I don't want to troubleshoot for a problem I know there is no solution at the moment.

2. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I have the new 24 inch Apple display .....no problems at all.

3. sunnymac macrumors newbie

hi

Hi Even i have the same problem. But I figured it out a bit...
    When ever u use your external monitor you have to connect the power cord to macbook.this way u can solve u r problem..but fact is, it has to work without power cord attached to it ..we hv to solve that problem..but now u can use using power attached to the macbook..

4. anthony691 macrumors newbie

5. paolo- thread starter macrumors 6502a

Enteresting, mind you, I always have my MB plugged in when using my external monitor. I tried it unplugged and I still get the problem. It might mean the problem is more than a simple firmware update :confused: if that solved it for you...

ps, did you just call me Evan ?

6. netsped macrumors 6502

i have the same problem and nothing seems to fix it but lowering the resolution, it only happens when it the max supported resolution (in my case I think it is 1680 x 1050) but when I go below that flicker free.

Edit: Hope Apple fix this soon, I was reading in apple discussions board that the problem is there since october last year.

7. anthony691 macrumors newbie

8. paolo- thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wow thanks for the heads-up, mind you, I won't be able to test it until Wednesday.

-Actually, I just started software update and there's no sign of a VGA adapter firmware update... Is it on the apple website? Maybe it requires the recent security update, too. I'll check after I install that.

9. anthony691 macrumors newbie

I think the adapter has to be in use for it to come up in Software Update. I believe it flashes the firmware on the actual adapter (that is how the documentation was worded, but I really don't know).

I did the update today and went from having no problems to having no problems. Didn't do much for me.

10. netsped macrumors 6502

Well, unfortunately the update didn't fixed the problem in my case. FYI I'm using a LG 22" LCD monitor model M228WA. HOPEFULLY 10.5.7 update will fix it, but I'll be happy if it is just before 10.6.

11. paolo- thread starter macrumors 6502a

The update seem to have solved the problem for me :D

12. fifthroot macrumors member

fifthroot

The update fixed my flickering. I can't tell you how thankful my brain is for this. The random "blinking" was giving my optical pathways a hernia.