external monitor flicking issue

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jvmxtra, May 3, 2011.

1. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Is anyone else having this issue? Mine is not apple monitor but samsung monitor which works fine when hooked up to windows laptop.

When I connected to my new mbp 15(I tried discreet and internal) and I see screen flicking on the external monitor here and there.

Has anyone experience this? I see some article on flickering issue on apple monitor but haven't seen any on 3rd party monitor hooked up to mbp.

2. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

3. jvmxtra thread starter macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

Yes, I update'd to latest. I am suprised that no one else is having this issue.

4. toxotis70 macrumors member

toxotis70

Many users have the same problem, me too !
    I have the new MBP 15.4 2.0 GHz and i have the same issues when i connect it to my iMac 27 " !
    I cant find a solution ...

5. jvmxtra thread starter macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

REally.. I didn't see much post about them.
    I am really thinking of taking this mbp to apple store.. For over 2k, this is not good. My $500 pc laptop is working fine w/ the external monitor which I really need to get some serious work done at home.

6. toxotis70 macrumors member

toxotis70

A new mbp software update is out.. try it and see if that fix the problem !

7. jvmxtra thread starter macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

YES, can't wait to get home and try this out.

Will update everyone.

go MBP!!!! :D

8. jvmxtra thread starter macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

9. jvmxtra thread starter macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

spoke too soon.

STILL problem. grghghghgh.. hello apple.

my monitor: samsung syncmaster 2343bwx

10. jvmxtra thread starter macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

What is my option? Does anyone else experience same issue???

I cannot believe 2k laptop cannot properly connect to external monitor.

11. ender land macrumors 6502a

I have a similar issue too. Every once in a while, my external monitor will flicker and be visibly out of sync or something for a few seconds, then return to normal.

It's something with OS:X for sure though since the problem does not happen when I'm running my Win7 partition with bootcamp.

12. jvmxtra thread starter macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

umm.. hello apple???? wth???

13. paddyhazard macrumors regular

I had this as well with an NEC monitor and 2009 13" MBP. Tried using a third party mini display port to dvi and the apple one and niether worked well with a variety of dvi cables. Ended up using a cheap mini display port to hdmi and a fairly good (£10) hdmi to dvi cable and it works almost perfectly after that. Only the occasional flickering when you sleep then wake up too quickly.

Maybe try that?

14. sportster macrumors 6502

I've had the same type of issue with my iMac for a long time. Using a Dell monitor with DVI connection I get the black flashing on the external monitor while in OS X. It works great in Bootcamp (XP) and on 2 other MacBook laptops. I have no issues if I use a VGA cable though. I've just said f-it and have stuck with a VGA cable...

15. paolo- macrumors 6502a

I had the same problem with my samsung screen connected via VGA. Sad thing is it worked perfectly with Leopard. I used SwitchResX to solve the issue http://www.madrau.com/download/latest/latest.html for some reason OSX thought my screen wanted 59.9Hz so I would get a blink every 10 seconds... I still can't use my screen with my laptop closed as I can't see anything to change the settings in SwitchResX.

Common problem, I even emailed customer support detailing how to fix it, it's all over their support forum, hasn't been fixed yet. I'm sure it gives them a great reputation : *someone wants to make a presentation, can't get a display to work*, *crowd, stupid macs, can't work with anything can they!*.

16. jvmxtra thread starter macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I see. Did your osx display preference say it was 59.9Hz? Mine says 60Hz for external monitor(samsung 2343bwx) but flicking comes back at random time and sometimes it doesn't go away(to a point where I need to just not look at the external monitor). I am also hooked up via vga adapter -- wondering whether I should get dvi?(this really sucks though as windows laptop hooked up to that monitor works fine).

Also, I noticed that when mbp is hooked up to this monitor, it doesn't quite look as sharp as when windows laptop is hooked up. THis is very very dissapointing.

17. paolo- macrumors 6502a

Hm, I'm not too sure on the details (I don't have that monitor with me right now). Give SwitchResX a shot, you should be able to find something that works, if the problem is that it isn't recognized properly. Before that, I had some flickering issue, but that came from the adapter. There was an adapter update at some point. You might want to run software update with the adapter plugged in just to see.

As for sharpness and colour, you might want to have a look at your colour calibration.

As for DVI, I hooked up my brother's iMac for a while on it and it never had any issues. I'm starting to think it's just the minidisplay -> vga adapter that wasn't designed properly or something...

18. jvmxtra thread starter macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I might give DVI a try. I will also take a look at switchREsX.

Thanks!!!