Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jasnw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 15, 2013
Seattle Area (NOT! Microsoft)
A friend asked me for a recommendation on what external monitor to use with an older MacBook Air (6,2; early 2014) running Mojave. I tried running it with my BenQ PD2700Q using a miniDP-to-HDMI adapter. No joy. I tried this with my own MBPro (14,1; 2017) also running Mojave, this time using a TB-to-HDMI adapter to make sure the monitor and HDMI cable were OK. Worked just fine. I'm suspecting the older MBA just can't drive a 4K monitor.

If that is the case, what would be a good 24" or 27" monitor to use with this older MBA? Use-case is typical business applications, web browsing, some video (viewing, not making). My friend's main need is for more screen real estate. I've strongly recommended that she get her cheapskate boss to buy her a new M1 machine with a nice external 4K monitor, but that's evidently a non-starter.

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
A friend asked me for a recommendation on what external monitor to use with an older MacBook Air (6,2; early 2014) running Mojave. I tried running it with my BenQ PD2700Q using a miniDP-to-HDMI adapter. No joy. I tried this with my own MBPro (14,1; 2017) also running Mojave, this time using a TB-to-HDMI adapter to make sure the monitor and HDMI cable were OK. Worked just fine. I'm suspecting the older MBA just can't drive a 4K monitor.

If that is the case, what would be a good 24" or 27" monitor to use with this older MBA? Use-case is typical business applications, web browsing, some video (viewing, not making). My friend's main need is for more screen real estate. I've strongly recommended that she get her cheapskate boss to buy her a new M1 machine with a nice external 4K monitor, but that's evidently a non-starter.
No reason to "suspect" what her computer can do; this Mac's video capabilities are clearly stated in the specs page from Apple's support site:

Basically her Mac can drive a QHD monitor (1440p). There are a ton of these because this resolution is the sweet spot for PC videogaming.

Since you decided not to provide a budget it's really hard for anyone to make a suggestion.

I have a 32" Dell S3220DGF QHD monitor but my eyes are old and tired. That said, I have had very good success with Dell monitors in the past. The 1080p model I bought in 2006 lasted 13 years. This 32" QHD Dell monitor is intended to be a gaming monitor but it is quite satisfactory for productivity purposes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.