External monitor for MacBook Air

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by VintageMac, Jun 26, 2015.

1. VintageMac macrumors member

I just ordered the 2014 11" Macbook Air i7/8/512 from Adorama and want to add an external monitor, something around 20" or so, maybe around $200. I'm transitioning from an eMac and don't really know where to start regarding the monitor. Additional usb ports on the monitor and speakers would be a bonus. I know the MBA does not have a Retina display, so I am not sure what screen quality this MBA can handle. I know I'll need some kind of cable adapter. My ignorance is likely showing here....

Vintage

2. The Humble Blogger macrumors newbie

Well what you'd be best off doing is looking for something along this line http://tinyurl.com/nphppfs, it's a great monitor for you with being 23", around that $200 mark that you were aiming for. The only downfall is that it doesn't have any USB ports or speakers. However, after doing some reading, it appeared that there is an audio port where you could plug speakers into. I think you'd be better of looking into some speakers from Bose anyways, you can pick some up for around $100.

One other option is to have an iPad be your monitor using Duet. Download the app, it costs around $20 last time I checked. It hooks up over USB to your Mac or PC and then it's a portable second display, so for people on the move, I would DEFINITELY recommend looking into this especially if you already have an iPad.

3. VintageMac thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, Humble. I do not have an iPad. I'll consider your options.