external monitor for Macbook pro Retina

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zenkizero, Aug 20, 2012.

1. zenkizero macrumors newbie

I'm moving to university soon to study photography. I was thinking of getting an external monitor for editing with photoshop, watching films and playing xbox on. is the TB the best option or is their an equally good alternative? possibly a bit cheaper?

2. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I do not believe the Apple Thunderbolt Display is compatible with an XBOX. So I would recommend something else that has an HDMI input for that purpose.

Dell makes some decent 27" displays with multiple inputs (including DisplayPort, which is what you would want to connect your rMBP), per reviews on this forum, and they often run sales.

3. zenkizero thread starter macrumors newbie

disregarding the want for HDMI, would the Dell be as good or better than the TB display when editing images?

4. inhalexhale1 macrumors 6502a

Would you prefer antiglare or glossy? Both displays are very nice. Check them out.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=224-8284

http://www.apple.com/displays/

Like others have said, if you can wait, keep checking back for the Dell because they frequently run sales on the Ultrasharp monitors.

----------

This thread may help you.

5. zenkizero thread starter macrumors newbie

I use anti glare at hme but used the glossy on the macs when i was at college. It didnt really bother me that much. Are the Dells up to date? I would hate to order one and a new model come out soon. Can you use full resolution of the retina on it without any trouble?

6. zenkizero thread starter macrumors newbie

any rmbp users using an external monitor for photoshop? what are you using? what is the best option

7. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

NEC and Eizo are both premium brands for Photography. Look at the IPS panel screens as they are the best. Go for Spectraview Ref 271 or CG275 if you can afford it.

8. zenkizero thread starter macrumors newbie

while the NEC and eizo monitors are awesome, I am looking for something around thunderbolt price range. I want something that when calibrated will work well for editing images. I was looking at the dell ultrasharp u2711 but i read something about it not being ideal for macs.

9. Hedoh macrumors newbie

Hedoh

the whole xbox thing aside...
    TBD is amazing, I highly recommend.

10. bkar89 macrumors regular

bkar89

I've been there... trying to hook an xbox up to a monitor, i wouldn't go there, especially if the display lacks internal speakers. I'd just get a small LCD in addition, they are pretty cheap nowadays.

the Dells are up to snuff, with AH-IPS in the pricy ones. Might wait until Apple is done refreshing their hardware line, who knows what we'll see there, might even get HDMI input on the TBD refresh. rMBP got HDMI, never thought I'd see that... (HDMI input on the TBD is just as expected, so I wouldn't even hope for it)

Even though i prefer the TBD, that has way more to with the design and it matching the mac than features alone (I'm crazy that way, no... I mean... almost OCD crazy). The Dell just fits better in with what you want... Just do some research on the xbox thing. Alot of people seem to be using the Dells for xbox and other consoles

11. zenkizero thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah. I agree that the thunderbolt looks awesome and would probably be my best bet apart from the lack of xbox which is a bit of a problem since I can watch Sky/netflix over it. I dont have room for another monitor in my room at university but I study fashion photography so I have to make sure I can get good results when using photoshop/lightroom on the monitor.

12. iamsen47 macrumors regular

There are people that have removed the AG coating on their 27" dells. Just google dell AG removal. Looks as good as the TBD.

Of course, you void your warranty and will need to be rather careful with it in future.

13. Outrigger macrumors 68000

Outrigger

If you're set on your xbox connection, then there really is no point in looking at the ATD since it will not work.