External Monitor for Macbook?!?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by babond, Jul 1, 2008.

1. babond macrumors member

I'm in the market for an external monitor for my Macbook. I'm wanting at least 19in and no more than 22in. My budget is $350 but I'd like to try and keep it under $300. I also would like to use this monitor for Xbox360 gaming also. I've looked at Dells, HPs and Samsungs and they all seem nice. Any suggestions.

2. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

I recommend the LG displays, certainly in the UK they are cheaper than the likes of dell and hp, and host a great selection of ports. Look out for the fastest response time possible (anything under 8ms would be good for console gaming). I think a majority of users on here would suggest a dell (I think the Ultracolor), which are contested almost weekly between the apple ACDs.

Good Hunting.

3. HalibutRon macrumors newbie

extended desktop: _not_ on MB

Bear in mind, AFAIK, that MacBooks cannot do "extended desktop" display (different content on each monitor) without hacks.

The standard configuration, "mirroring," duplicates what's on your MB screen, on your external monitor.

iPhone Canada thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=5688306&postcount=936

4. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

It does. The iBooks didn't, but the Mac Books can.

Go for any monitor that is in your budget, the pretty much use the same panel and will give you the same specs.

5. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Um, no

You aren't correct. The old iBooks were so limited, but the Macbooks are not. Any monitor with a single DVI (or analog) input can support spanning.

6. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I got a hp W20 here , had it a while now , almost a year and a half I think , never had any trouble , 5ms , works fine ....yeah err get one of these they are bang on for the money( £150UK ish at the time )

7. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

Another vote for the HP w20, Ive had mine a year and its well worth the cash. I think they use the glossy finish in their present range but they're pretty and cheap enough. I use mine for the xbox360 and never seen any problems.

8. babond thread starter macrumors member

yeah the HPs look amazing. by the way i plan on using just my external monitor "when" it's hooked up. i'd like to bypass the macbook screen altogether. what do i need to look into as far as how the monitors will work with gaming? do some screen sizes do better at displaying the image? ive heard of some people have the black bars at the top and bottom. i want the best monitor in the $350 range for both xbox and computing.

9. somewhatstunned macrumors member

I have a LG 24 something on my MBP - with pivot!

I haven't seen anything better.

Pivot seems to be dropping off. Too bad. It's great for web pages.

10. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

Just use the Macbook in clamshell mode (ie:lid closed) to bypass the screen.

Usually the lower screen response time , the better for gaming , the hp will be fine that's why I mentioned the 5ms response time it has ....all in all get the hp , its the right price and right speed , looks cool . done deal ....that's what I thought after looking for a screen for like 3 months and then saw the hp .