External Monitor Full HD Font Blurry Smudgy

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blackbirdz, Jan 4, 2017.

1. blackbirdz macrumors member

I just bought new MBP Pro and connect it to HP 23ES 1080p Full HD monitor. I had been using this monitor with Windows laptop and text displayed had always been sharp as what expected from 1080p monitor. Then my new rMBP Pro came in and I connect the monitor with HDMI cable with an adapter as new MBP only has USB C.

I found that the text displayed at the external monitor is smudgy and not as sharp as how 1080p should look like or when it's connected to Windows laptop.

I have set all settings to make sure it is 1080p, LCD font smoothing disable/enable, reset the monitor to factory default, force RGB method and the problem still persists.

So I installed VMware fusion to run Windows OS in Mac. Here is the interesting part, any content that is displayed in Windows OS - all texts are sharp as expected; but the same content displayed in MacOS - the text are smudgy.

For example:
    I open gmail with Chrome browser in Windows (VMWare Fusion) - all the email texts are sharp.
    I open gmail with Chrome browser in MacOS - all the email texts are smudgy.

I then reboot MBP and hold Cmd+R to go into the Recovery Mode - same thing, all texts displayed at Recovery Mode are smudgy.

So I assume this might be problem with MacOS -or- that HP 23ES monitor does not play well with Mac (but usually monitor is universal)?

I will appreciate if someone here could help with the solution. I do document editing a lot and looking at smudgy text is uncomfortable.

Thanks,

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

Check the Displays pref pane.

Do you by any chance see an option for "underscan"?

If so, try experimenting with it.

The Mac -might- be "seeing" the display "as a tv screen", and NOT "as a computer display".

Do this, and let us know what you find.

3. blurrytext macrumors newbie

blurrytext

Hi blackbirdz. Have you found a solution for your problem?
    I'm actually experiencing the same issue. I bought a 24" full hd monitor and the text is just ugly. I can only use the screen for videos.