External monitor full resolution not showing up when connected

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fsampaio, Aug 30, 2011.

1. fsampaio macrumors newbie

Hi,

I'm already searching the internet for two hours on external monitors and MacBooks to get mine working but can't overcome this specific problem:

My 22" LG LCD monitor when connected to my Macbook Pro 13" through a MiniDisplayport to VGA adapter can't be set to the the native 1680x1050 resolution, i'm able to set it to others smaller resolutions that are available but the image naturally gets kinda blurry due to stretching. Even 1920x1080 is available, but not 1680x1050.

I think the macbook is having trouble recognizing the resolutions my monitor can display. The resolution setting screen title says simply "Monitor", shouldn't it display "LG [Model]"? Is there a way i can force this 1680x1050 resolution?

2. hexonxonx macrumors 601

First, make sure you are looking at the display properties for the externam monitor and not the MBP.

Second, it is most likely because you are connected with a VGA cable and not DVI.

I bought a 24" Samsung monitor a few months back and tried connecting with the included VGA cable. The highest resolution would not show up. I bought a DVI cable and the computer automatically selected 1080 as the default which is perfect.

3. T4R06 macrumors 65816

change your cable at least DVI or better if your LCD support HDMI do it.

go to preference then display choose 1080p