External Monitor Habits

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fate0311, Dec 1, 2016.

1. fate0311 macrumors 6502

So I just picked up a 27" external 4K monitor and I notice a bad habit. Instead of utilizing the real estate I find myself doing things instead such as enlarging internet browsers, and enlarging applications more than I normally would.

To me, this seems a bit counter intuitive to the purpose of an external. Anyone else run into this?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I use an external with my 2016 MBP and use the app Moom for this. You can setup all the apps in the size you want then have Moom remember the size and position. Do this both for the external then the built in display and save both. Then setup Moom to auto resize when it detects you have swapped displays. It works pretty well and avoids all that dragging around and resizing when you swap displays.

https://manytricks.com/moom/

3. fate0311 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks man I will check that out.

Another thing, who actually keeps the full 3840x2160??

It seems small at first, as in the GUI and text. I did scale it to render those larger. However am I again contradicting the point of an external monitor?

Should I be trying to adjust and use it at the full 3840x2160?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

It is just personal preference I guess. Anything lower than that top, default resolution and things are slightly less clear. I run my 13" MBP ay one notch down from the highest resolution and I cannot honestly perceive any difference in clarity and that size works for me. I don't have an external 4k or 5k to try yet. Still waiting to order the Apple/LG 5k model.

5. fate0311 thread starter macrumors 6502

Does anyone use the actual 3840x2160 resolution? Please chime in if you do and how long it took for you to adjust to it.

6. lambda-lambda macrumors newbie

If you want to go a little further with efficient space usage you may consider a tiling window manager such as kwm https://github.com/koekeishiya/kwm. I have found it to be reasonable, not quite xmonad but it does the job.