External Monitor: HDMI vs DVI

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by xRedBaronx, Feb 13, 2012.

1. xRedBaronx macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2012
    I'm looking to get an external monitor to go along with my 13" MacBook since it rarely leaves my desk since I got my iPad. The monitor that I'm looking at is here. My main concern is that this monitor doesn't have a DVI input. Will the picture quality be noticeably degraded by using a DVI to HDMI cable or will I be better of going with a monitor that has DVI. I'll mostly be using the monitor for Word and general surfing/email that can't be done on the iPad. Also any input on the monitor itself would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  2. notjustjay macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    Electrically, DVI and HDMI are the same. It shouldn't make a difference.
  3. xRedBaronx thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2012
    Ok thanks. That's what I thought but read a few reviews where people were complaining that the picture was grainy when using dvi to HDMI.
  4. Sackvillenb macrumors 6502a

Mar 1, 2011
    Canada! \m/
    Yes, as long as the adapter is working properly, they will be 100% the same and should look great!
  5. Lisa89 macrumors newbie

Jan 30, 2012
    I have a HDMI monitor, which i use together with my old macbook pro and a dvi to hdmi cable. The image is really crisp, nothing to complain here!

Just make sure you buy a decent cable, i bought a cheap one (it's digital, so cheap vs expensive doesn't make any visual difference) but one of the DVI-pins starts to come loose. Now, i always have to check if everything is still intact.
  6. xRedBaronx thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 13, 2012
    I ended up getting an Acer instead of the Samsung which had dvi. Looking at the Samsung a second time in the store I realized I didn't like the color as much on it. The Acer was larger, had anti glare and was on sale for about $30 less. I love having the larger screen, it almost makes me feel like I've got a new computer (until I try to rip a DVD):rolleyes:
  7. maril1111 macrumors 68000

Mar 14, 2010
    You could use this:

And it also has a video on how to install it.