Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

masterz13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2014
Hello, I have a 2014 MacBook Pro with Retina Display. I am trying to connect a n HP 2310m external monitor to it via HDMI. It recognizes it and the display works, but it's quite blurry on the external monitor. I've made sure that both the monitor and Mac OS have it set to 1080p, but it just seems excessively blurry, especially menu bars and text. I've tried to scale it manually and "best for display". It looks fine with Windows on my desktop. Am I missing something?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Could the MacBook be "seeing" the external display "as if it were a TV" instead of "a computer monitor"?

This seems to be a common problem lately, when connecting external displays via HDMI.

Suggestion:
Open the "displays" preference pane.

Click the "scaled" radio button.

Are you seeing resolutions such as "1080p", 1080i", "720p", etc. ?

This would indicated that the display -is- being seen "as a TV".

If so, how is the "underscan" set (if that is visible to you)?

Another suggestion:
Don't use HDMI.
Use a displayport cable instead, connected to the MacPro's thunderbolt port...

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Hello, I have a 2014 MacBook Pro with Retina Display. I am trying to connect a n HP 2310m external monitor to it via HDMI. It recognizes it and the display works, but it's quite blurry on the external monitor. I've made sure that both the monitor and Mac OS have it set to 1080p, but it just seems excessively blurry, especially menu bars and text. I've tried to scale it manually and "best for display". It looks fine with Windows on my desktop. Am I missing something?

Searched online, found this. It worked for me in the past when I experienced a similar issue connecting my MBA to an external display. Hope it works for you as well.

http://www.ireckon.net/2013/03/forc...ix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor

masterz13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 5, 2014
Searched online, found this. It worked for me in the past when I experienced a similar issue connecting my MBA to an external display. Hope it works for you as well.

http://www.ireckon.net/2013/03/forc...ix-the-picture-quality-of-an-external-monitor

This is actually the article I found while investigating the issue myself. To the other poster: "don't use HDMI" isn't exactly a good tip. There's a reason the laptop has an HDMI port and I have a working monitor, so this should work fine. And, yes, it shows as 1080p so perhaps it's detecting it as a TV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.