External monitor issues

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BiggAW, Sep 16, 2011.

1. BiggAW macrumors 68020

I have a 15" MBP that is "undocked" daily from a set of USB hubs, audio, power, and a 23" Dell Ultrasharp display connected via a MDP-VGA adapter from Monoprice. Often (maybe 30-40% of the time) when I plug the external monitor in, the laptop appears to move the main desktop, dock, and menu bars over to the external, but the external doesn't come on. At first I thought it was the monitor, but when I reboot the computer, it all works fine. Any ideas as to what the issue is?

2. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

I have a utility to switch graphics cards now, and it looks like it was because it wasn't switching between Intel and AMD graphics properly, which is strange because I don't see why the integrated graphics can't drive the 1080p screen, but whatever.

3. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

My integrated drives my 24" 1920x1080 Samsung...I wonder if it's firmware?

4. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

Possibly... I should think that the integrated would drive up to the maximum of 1900x1200 (for VGA). I also just upgraded the firmware, so I'm keeping my finger cross that using the discreet card fixes the problem...

5. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

6. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

It seems the integrated graphics are not connected to the TB/MiniDP port on the 15" and 17" models.

The HD3000 has no problem driving a 17" 1900x1200 laptop display but won't output to my 23" Samsung monitor (minidp->DVI adapter). Only turning on the AMD graphics allows an external display to function.

7. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

UUUMMM..my 13" runs my 24" Samsung 1920x1080 along with the native screen.

It might be the logig "why" you'd want to run it only with the integrated. The computer will be plugged in let the real graphics card do it's job

8. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

Where did I say anything about 13" machines? The OP has a 15". I have a 17". YOU have a 13" and since it doesn't have a discrete graphics card, it doesn't help us out in this discussion.

9. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

he talked about integrated graphics...remember...

10. Freyqq macrumors 68040

there is a different between the capabilities of the intel gpu and if apple wires the comp such that you can use the intel gpu on external monitors

11. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

I know that the integrated graphics for whatever reason can't drive an external. However, even with the discreet graphics, I am having the monitor recognition issue.

As a side note, I use the laptop on battery a lot and I don't play games, so I would rather just use Intel graphics all the time. If it had been available from the factory, I would have ordered the laptop with integrated graphics only.

12. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

You're still missing the point.

13. dusk007 macrumors 68040

dusk007

Because of heat and the noise it causes.
    Running the Intel GPU I get at the same load about 20 C less heat (same fan speed). I can watch flash videos and do stuff similar load and the fans will stay at quiet 2000rpm. With the dGPU I do anything above almost idle load means the fans will kick it up a notch.
    The real reason is that Apples mulitplexing version of enabling the Graphic switching consumes a bit less power when it is running the dGPU. That is why they did it. Otherwise Optimus or AMDs alternative is the better solution. If they would be smarter about when to switch on the dGPU which means if they wouldn't switch for any teensy little crap that might need just a bit of GPU it really wouldn't matter that much and they could just use Optimus or the AMD pendant with the Marketing Name I forgot.
    For noise at night I would greatly prefer running my external screen of the Intel GPU and for the things I do it is more than fast enough. I really only need the dGPU for gaming in which case I never use the an external display.

14. Alexjones, Oct 4, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

Alexjones macrumors 6502

I gave up trying to make my Macbookpro into a desk top. I tried everything. But in spite of all my efforts , The constant heat issues were becoming annoying. 80c for looking at a simple webpage is not normal. I don't care if Steve Jobs himself said its ok. My laptop then spoke to me and said , "Dad, I want to go back to doing what i do best, which is being a great laptop". It is now back to being the great machine that it is, Running at 39 - 50c and very content. I will look into a Mac pro in the near future.

15. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

It works fine as a desktop when I leave it docked, the issue is after I undock it, getting it re-docked. I don't really care on the whole discreet vs. integrated thing, that's a pretty minor annoyance, and theoretically, the automatic switching would work anyways.

16. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I think your high...is that the point?

17. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

BiggAW, I have had some strangeness when unplugging my external display at times. Sometimes closing and opening the laptop (and therefore putting the display to sleep and waking it up) a couple times works. It seems like my problem lies in opening the laptop and unplugging the display cable before the machine realizes how many displays are attached.

Have you tried using another video adapter? Does your monitor have a DVI input or just the VGA input?

Almost always, but what does that have to do with it? ;)

I'm saying that your experiences with your machine do not help the OP, since his hardware is physically different than yours and certain configurations that work on your computer cannot function and never will function on OP's machine. In this case, the integrated graphics in 15s and 17s is not physically wired to the ThunderBolt/MiniDP port, whereas it is on the 13" model, like the one you own. So your input doesn't seem relevant. At least, the input you have presented us so far (if I understand you correctly).

18. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

It seems my best bet is to reboot, it's just kind of annoying to reboot every day just to plug in an external monitor. I can try the lid thing and see if that works...

I could try my other adapter (they are identical twins). I have had no issue driving expensive projector systems, large LCD HDTV's, small LCD HDTV's, it just seems to be this one that gives me issues. I don't have the DVI or DP adapters for the laptop, but the screen has one of each, in addition to VGA. It's a Dell Ultrasharp.

----------

It seems my best bet is to reboot, it's just kind of annoying to reboot every day just to plug in an external monitor. I can try the lid thing and see if that works...

I could try my other adapter (they are identical twins). I have had no issue driving expensive projector systems, large LCD HDTV's, small LCD HDTV's, it just seems to be this one that gives me issues. I don't have the DVI or DP adapters for the laptop, but the screen has one of each, in addition to VGA. It's a Dell Ultrasharp.

19. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I might try an all digital adapter instead of a digital to analog (like your current minidp->vga adapter).

When you're pushing HDTVs and projectors are you using the VGA adapter?

20. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

Yup, it's VGA all around. That's what everything at school has, and the TV at home has a specific computer port that works really well. Again, no issues.

I'm going to get an MDP-DP cable and see if a single, native, all-digital cable fixes things, as opposed to an adapter, a VGA cable, and a D-A and A-D process.

21. BiggAW thread starter macrumors 68020

I swapped to a different adapter, and everything seems fine now. Already ordered the MDP-DP cable, and I need another VGA cable anyways, so I am just going to go that way when it comes in...

22. phyrexia macrumors 6502a