External Monitor Issues.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by EricGandolfe, Mar 28, 2012.

1. EricGandolfe macrumors newbie

I'm having trouble with my external display. Whenever I connect in to my Macbook, it flashes between the screen, and an empty blue screen. It once worked, but for whatever reason stopped. Is there a way I could reset the preferences on the external monitor, or just my display preferences instead? Thank you for any help!

2. VictorianPanda macrumors newbie

Eh, hopefully this helps. I connected an external monitor to my Macbook a while ago, and this happened. I don't really remember what I did to change it, though. Is your Macbook plugged into the power adapter? Open up Displays and check there. I'm pretty sure you've already tried these things, but I do remember this happening to me, and these would've been the only things I tried. Eh...good luck. Sorry I could be of more help.

3. EricGandolfe thread starter macrumors newbie

So today I installed more RAM and it works for about ten minutes before it starts freaking out again. I try putting it on 59 hertz (Recommended with that monitor), but it's stuck at either 60 or 75. And yea man, I've tried everything I could think of in the display settings, but nothing.

4. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Clamshell or extended?

My early 08 Macbook is always plugged into an external monitor when I'm at home and there is a few seconds of jitteryness when I first start it up in clamshell mode.
    It is possible it could be a bad cable from whatever your book is to whatever your monitor is. An older one I was using turned the screen yellow and gave wavy lines now and then.

5. EricGandolfe thread starter macrumors newbie

Extended. I know that it's not the cables since I tried it with a different monitor and it's the same deal. I would order a different cable, but the only ones on Apple's site are the new mini display, not the older one.

6. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

The Apple store ones were a waste of money with them being not only super flimsy but super expensive. If you look on ebay you can find tons of Mini DVI to whatever the monitor is for just a few dollars.
    I think I payed $35 for my Mini DVI to VGA at an Apple Store and recently replaced it with one from a different brand for 99 cents.

Have you tried resetting PRAM and all that good stuff yet?

7. EricGandolfe thread starter macrumors newbie

8. InuNacho macrumors 65816

InuNacho

Resetting PRAM and NVRAM

Shut down the computer.

Locate the following keys on the keyboard: Command, Option, P, and R.

You will need to hold these keys down simultaneously in step 4.

Turn on the computer.

Press and hold the Command-Option-P-R keys. You must press this key combination before the gray screen appears.

Hold the keys down until the computer restarts and you hear the startup sound for the second time.

Release the keys.

Your computer's PRAM and the NVRAM are reset to the default values. The clock settings may be reset to a default date on some models.

9. EricGandolfe thread starter macrumors newbie

Great! I'll be trying this tomorrow. This may sound like a stupid question, but should I be worried about anything going wrong? And what exactly is this doing?

10. EricGandolfe thread starter macrumors newbie

So I reset my PRAM and now it works fine! Thank so much, man!

----------

Never mind, it's starting to act up again. -__-