External Monitor & Maximum Resolution

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ra4oasis, Apr 10, 2015.

1. ra4oasis macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

Hi everyone. I don't know if we even know the answers to this yet, but with all the reviews out there, figured I'd ask. My bosses bosses boss, whatever, he's up the corporate food chain, wants a new Retina Macbook. And before I get the "it's going to be his work machine? Does he know it is underpowered?", yes, he and I have talked about it, and I think he'll be fine. He's maxing it out, so highest possible storage and processor. But right now he has a Thunderbolt display, which of course won't work with the new machine. So, do we know what sort of behavior the new Macbook's do with external displays? I thought I read someplace that it doesn't actually a second display/desktop, but only mirror's what is on the laptop display. Is that right?

Also, when I'm shopping around for a new monitor for him, any idea what resolution I should look for? It'll probably end up being a Dell monitor, but I'm not sure what resolution the new Macbook can output. Anyone else know?

2. newellj macrumors 601

From the Ars review, fwiw:

3. ra4oasis thread starter macrumors 6502

ra4oasis

He doesn't want to drive a 4K monitor by any means. 1080p would be fine I'm sure. I just want to be sure that'll perform okay, and does he have to mirror the display, or will the display extend into a second desktop?

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes, this will work.

No one can tell you if it will "work ok", because that is an ambiguous requirement.