External monitor only, lid open?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MarcBook, Jul 17, 2008.

1. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

I'm using my MacBook Pro with my LCD TV but I'd like to be able to run it off the TV only (so not the laptop display) with the lid open all the time. The reason is that with the lid shut the wireless Internet access is severely weakened (despite the indicator in the menu bar showing full or nearly full signal). I know this because the download speed drops dramatically with the lid closed to around 5 kbps when normally it's stable at 250!

On Windows I use it with the lid open but external only because the NVidia driver has that option. If I watch a download happening and close the lid, the rate instantly drops like I described above.

Does anybody know of an application or Terminal command that can disable the built-in screen under Mac OS X (10.5.4)? It would be tremendously helpful.

Oh, and I doubt it helps, but in case anyone is wondering my external LCD is a Sharp 45" LC-45GD1E high-def television.

Thanks in advance. :rolleyes:

2. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

how about mirror mode, then turn down the brightness all the way on the MBP?

i know, i hate how bad the wireless is when the screen i closed.. im thinking of buying a linksys usb router thing but i dont want to take up a USB port!

3. MarcBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Whoops

When I made this post I hadn't actually tried Mac OS with this TV. For some reason it automatically leaves the display off and runs through the TV only! :p

But I'd still like to have the lid open with my Sony external monitor, because using the TV all the time isn't ideal.

I don't see why Apple don't have the wireless antenna in the top of the lid, like Sony or most other brands... They just love to have a single sheet of aluminium on the top... :mad: They'll sacrifice anything for a nice look...

4. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

i know when i plug my ACD into my MBP while the lid is closed and in sleep mode, and then wake it up by plugging in any USB device, it starts into clamshell mode. But then if I open the MBP lid, it stays off and keeps the external display the same. I can also close it again without making it go to sleep. So step 1, MBP closed in sleep mode, 2. plug in external, 3. wake with external keyboard/mouse whatever, 4. open lid.

5. newbie jnr macrumors member

that worked for me too (on a 32'' TV)...i'd stumbled on it by accident.
    summing up, start MBP in clamshell mode (using external blah), the lift lid. presto!

6. MarcBook thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

Thank you

Thanks guys, I think I've got a method sorted that I'm happy with based on what you've said. :p

Let's just hope Apple open up the video drivers someday to the extend that NVidia has in Windows.

7. ruku macrumors member

well the fact that you can shut the lid and have only the external monitor on then open it again and its sitting there as i want it (main screen off but open) blows to my reckoning.
    i use a macbook in my bedroom and when im going to sleep i want to use the external monitor only but i dont want to have to shut it everyday to achieve what is obviously already possible. it puts stress on the hinges that is just not necessary. its also the cause of the keyboard plastic breaking so of course i dont want to do it.
    i have searched for software or tips to make it happen and found nothing. why would apple neglect this simple option?