External monitor orange when upgrading OS

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bumpworks, Dec 21, 2010.

1. bumpworks macrumors newbie

I have acquired a MacBook Pro that looks like it was run over. I repaired the cracked motherboard and got the unit to boot up. The keyboard and LCD are inoperative so I’m using externals. The unit is functioning fine but the OS needs to be upgraded. Current System Version: Mac OS X 10.4.11 (8S2167)
    Kernel Version: Darwin 8.11.1.

When I try to boot up DVD to upgrade the OS the screen turns orange and no further action is possible. Does anyone have any thoughts how to update the OS using external monitor, keyboard and mouse?

Model Name: MacBook Pro
    Model Identifier: MacBookPro3,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2.2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache (per processor): 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB DDR2 667 Mhz
    Bus Speed: 800 MHz
    Boot ROM Version: MBP31.0070.B07
    SMC Version: 1.16f11

2. bumpworks thread starter macrumors newbie

The Mac OS X Install DVD I’m trying to use is from an iMac, version 10.5.6 v1.0

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You can't use an iMac restore DVD on an MBP. You'll either need the MBP restore DVD, or a retail box.

4. bumpworks thread starter macrumors newbie

Could this be the reason for the orange screen?

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't know what's causing the orange screen; it's possibly a video driver mismatch but I can't say for sure.

6. bumpworks thread starter macrumors newbie

Nermal,
    It was the iMac disc that turned the screen orange. to test the suggestion that it was the iMac DVD I borrowed an "Everything else" disc from a friend.
    MacBook Pro, Mac OS X Install Disc, version 10.5.2

This disc boot as expected, no orange screen. I selected "English" and then received the error "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer"

Any ideas?

Nermal, thank you for all your help!

7. bumpworks thread starter macrumors newbie

Conclusion

1: It turns out as pointed out by Nerman, using iMac installation media on MBP results in orange screen during boot up.

2: Using the Everything else disc from someone else's laptop results in "Mac OS X cannot be installed on this computer"

Conclusion:

Using the "Everything else" disc from another persons MBP, I at least got to a normal error. I assume this is because I should not be using someone else's disc on my laptop, understandable. I purchased the Mac Box Set "MC680Z/A" and at the time of this update all is proceeding as it should.

So yes, it is possible to upgrade a MBP using only an external monitor and keyboard / mouse.