External Monitor Picture Quality

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Leigh31, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Leigh31 macrumors newbie

I just bought a new monitor (HP LP2475w) for my Macbook. The screen has great quality when my computer isn't plugged in. When I do connect my computer, the screen shows the display, but it has some static and flashes occasionally. If I pull up the onscreen menu, though, the menu itself has great quality, and just the image from my computer around it shows the problem. I think the problem may be with the connection, not with the monitor. I'm using the MiniDisplayPort to DVI adapter, a DVI-D to DVI-I adapter, and then a DVI-I cable to the monitor. I've also used the MiniDisplayPort to DVI adapter, a DVI-D cable, then a DVI-D to DVI-I adapter to the monitor. I've had the same problem both times, and tried it in both DVI-I ports on the monitor. Any suggestions? It wouldn't be my graphics card, would it? I have the new aluminum Macbook.

2. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Can you try the display with another computer? And the Macbook with a different display?

It would be good to use a bit of process-of-elimination to get a better idea of your problem.

3. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

I would suggest that the number of adapters may be causing a problem.

Cut out the DVI-D to DVI-I adapter. It's useless. (DVI-I is cross-compatible. Your adapter is only needed if you have a DVI-D-only port and you only have a DVI-I cable.) Just use the DVI-D cable.

DVI-I just means that it is capable of either analog or digital signaling.
    DVI-D means that it is only capable of digital.

The mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter is DVI-D, because it only transfers the digital signal. Your monitor may have a DVI-I port, but it will happily accept a DVI-D cable.

4. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

The monitor needs a DVI-I "in" connection. :confused:

5. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

It shouldn't. DVI-I is just DVI-D with additional pins for an analog/VGA signal. The DVI-D cable is transferring the signal you need. The fact that the pins are missing makes no difference, since you're not using them anyway.

6. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Well, clearly you know more about this than I do. :)

I currently have a Macbook GMA 950 connected to a band new 24-incher via my Mini-DVI to VGA adaptor, with a Mini-DVI to DVI adaptor in the mail. I'm dying to see how significant the quality improvement is. But it sure looks like the Mini-Display-Port spec is more hassle than gain (or just more $$$ for Apple).

7. Leigh31 thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried the Macbook with another display, and it worked fine. I tried plugging in an old Dell laptop I have to this display, and I couldn't get it to recognize it. That's probably my computer's fault, though.

8. Leigh31 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried just using just the DVI-D cable and the MiniDisplayPort adapter (no DVI-I). The problem isn't nearly as bad as it was before, but there's still faint static, and rare "flashes".

9. waw74 macrumors 68030

completely random thought here, (and this is assuming you're in the US)
    are you using the little fold out plug, or the plug on the cord for your power adapter.

Only ask because the fold out is not grounded, and i've seen a couple people with random problems because of that.

also you could try while running off battery power.

10. Leigh31 thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, I already am running off battery power.