External Monitor problem with Macbook (late 2007)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by nickXedge, Jun 6, 2008.

1. nickXedge macrumors 6502

nickXedge

I have a 40" Samsung LCD HDTV - 1080p. I am aware that the Macbook is not made to output to such a large, high res display. However, when I use the mini-DVI to VGA adapter and, obviously, a VGA cable into my tv I get some weird results. (I have tried using DVI-HDMI but I have nonstop compatibility issues with the tv, so thats out of the question, VGA works fine and is good enough quality for me) When using the tv as a second monitor, it works without fault, as long as my Macbook is open and awake.

However, when I shut my Macbook, the weird stuff starts to happen. First of all, I have the computer set to allow bluetooth devices to wake it up. When I close the lid and the computer goes to sleep, I click the mouse and move it around and most of the time it will not wake up no matter what I do. It is very temperamental. When it finally does wake up it works, using my tv as the main, and only display, for about 25 seconds, then the computer goes back to sleep. On occasion it will enter a cycle of waking up and going to sleep all on its own.

The computer is babied night and day and has no other issues whatsoever.

I called AppleCare about this and for the first time I was disappointed when calling them. They told me that the Macbook is not meant to be used in this fashion, closed using an external monitor, and that's why I have issues.

I am not satisfied with this response. It's a friggin' notebook computer. Why does it have the option to be awoken by a bluetooth mouse if it's not meant to be used in this way.

If you have any information that could help me figure out why it does this and maybe your own experiences of using your Macbook closed with an external monitor I would be greatly appreciative.

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I use my remote, when watching DVDs, movies, PowerPoint, and Keynote. I hook-up to my Sony Bravia 40" LCD and will close my BlackBook and utilize the remote and it works flawlessly. I'm not aware of the possibility or the option to use bluetooth keyboard or mouse while the MB is closed. Keep me advised, this sounds interesting. :confused:

3. nickXedge thread starter macrumors 6502

nickXedge

Is there any setting to allow the remote to wake up the computer after you close the lid? Or do you just hit the 'play' button, for example, and it starts back up? Thanks for the response.

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

The MacBook is indeed made to hook up to any high-def TV. The maximum external resolution the MacBook can output is 1920x1200 - higher than the 1920x1080 res on high def TVs.

You need a power cable plugged in to allow running in closed lid mode. The MacBook is designed to run in closed lid mode.

5. nickXedge thread starter macrumors 6502

nickXedge

Ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!! Thank you so much! It all makes sense now!

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Really? That fixed it? You just had the power cord unplugged?

If so, cool!

7. jns2001 macrumors regular

I had the same issue today, thank you very much!
    :D

8. maconly03 macrumors newbie

How did you hook up your Samsung hdtv?

hey " Nickxedge " .
    I have a problem hooking up my Samsung HDTV to my Macbook using miniDVI to VGA.
    The TV is saying that its not hooked up?
    If you check my posts, I state the problem in full...

Please help in anyway that you can...
    Thanks

9. OxWordBarber macrumors newbie

I sometimes get the external monitor starting and not the MacBook screen. This works:

System Preferences > Displays. There's a check box for 'Show Displays in Menu Bar'. Check it.

Anytime only one screen comes on, click the display icon in the menu bar and click Detect Displays.

Bingo! They both work as normal.