external monitor problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sundown1957, Nov 30, 2015.

1. sundown1957 macrumors newbie

I have an iMac running el captain. I also have an external monitor on it. every thing worked fine till i updated. now if i put safari on the external it works ok. but now if i go full screen it turns my iMac to a black screen . Any one know of a setting i can change to fix this ?

2. 3568358 macrumors 6502

There is no 'setting'. This shouldn't happen. Once you go full screen on the second monitor, try going back on your mac screen and getting out of the black screen, if that makes sense- like go full screen on the second monitor then move around your mac screen and see if anything pops up or something.

3. sundown1957 thread starter macrumors newbie

not sure if i can explain this right but ,. when i click the video on the aux to full screen. i see what ever is on my iMac move to the left and then the black screen. kinda like doing a swipe on a macbook. the only thing i can do on the iMac at that point is click on the dock at the bottom of the screen and if i click any thing in dock it opens on the iMac but closes full screen on the aux back to regular safari

4. 3568358 macrumors 6502

This sounds like an operating system glitch. Are you sure you're on the latest operating system? Could you check in the app store please?

5. sundown1957 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm running 10.11

6. 3568358 macrumors 6502

Have you restarted your mac by any chance? Maybe its a one time glitch?

7. sundown1957 thread starter macrumors newbie

i just updated to 10.11.1 and yes i have restored several times. even did a pram reset. Nothing has helped. its been doing this for a month or so. but it sucks because if i put a movie on the aux i can not use the imac

8. sundown1957 thread starter macrumors newbie

I just figured it out . turns out the setting was in mission control . put a check on ( displays have seperate spaces.