External Monitor Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by mizelly41, Aug 26, 2008.

1. mizelly41 macrumors regular

mizelly41

i have had a 22" Acer hooked up to my Macbook now with no problems at all for about 3 months. I believe it was running at 1680x1050. When I came home today and woke the Macbook up, the resolution was all out of wack and now that resolution is not on the list anymore. Any ideas?

2. mizelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

mizelly41

3. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

uhm is there a thing in the monitor where u auto adjust and fixes the resoulution? just screw around in the settings.

4. mizelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

mizelly41

I tried about everything. Then it started acting really weird so I am now reinstalling leopard. I really hope this works.

5. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

what kinda connector do u have like is it apple or dynex?

6. mizelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

mizelly41

Well I have wiped my hard drive and started over and the problem is still there. The monitor I have is Acer AL2216W connected with a mini-DVI to VGA connector. Like I said, I have had no problems up until Tuesday. I think what the problem is that the Macbook is not recognizing the monitor as widescreen anymore. The highest resolution is 1600x1200. The resolution to be used with the monitor is 1680x1200.

7. MacHappytjg macrumors 65816

well like i had this problem with my emac when i just hooked it up then my macbook and there was an auto adjust there should be on every monitor and puts the resoultion for 1680x1300 or w.e it is cause i have a 22" as well just lg, read ur acer guid thing that came with the monitor if there is one

8. mizelly41 thread starter macrumors regular

mizelly41

Okay, well my monitor all of a sudden started working again. I had my Macbook lid open, so both monitors were on. Then out of no where they switched to the mirror view. I then went to the Display preferences and the right resolution was available and it said the name of my Acer monitor on the top of the preferences. I am not sure what happened, by I am glad everything is back to normal and I hope it stays this way.