Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
I'm stumped on this and hoping someone has a tip. Bought two mini displayport to DVI adapters and cables for two macbook pro 13" mid 2012 laptops. So I have two of everything to be able to swap adapters, cables, even macbooks.

Can't get it working. The macs "see" the external monitor when I go into Displays, and will let me drag it around in the "Arrangement" tab.

But the external monitors both say "No Signal" on DVI input.

Running Mavericks.

Any tips? Did I buy the wrong adapters? Any help appreciated!

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
What kind adapters did you buy, what monitor do you have, and which Macs do you have?

dotme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Adapters:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007KB0EGC x2 (I read the reviews, thought I was safe)

Monitors:
http://www.amazon.com/AOC-E2243FW-21-5-Inch-LED-Monitor/dp/B0046U0FSM/ x2 (Now discontinued, I believe)

Macbooks:
Late 2012 cMBPs 2.5GHz dual-core Intel Core i5 models x2

Cables:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000O5TH14 x2

I'll be honest - this is a minefield to me. I want the best signal I can get (I have newer monitors on the way) and clearly something from the list above isn't playing nicely. Things would probably have gone a lot better if I knew what the heck I was doing ;)

Swapped so much equipment around tonight that I'm pretty sure I don't have a "factory bad" item, so there must be some incompatibility in play. Just don't know what.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
What kind adapters did you buy, what monitor do you have, and which Macs do you have?
Well, just a follow up. Came home with geniune Apple adapters this morning, replaced the Bluerigger adapters, and it works. Can't decide if I got two "bad" adapters, or if they just aren't compatible with the 2012 MBPs but either way, I think I got taken for a bit of a ride. Not worth expending additional time and effort returning them though, so they'll be tossed. Lesson learned.

Thanks for responding :)

ecschwarz

macrumors 65816
Jun 28, 2010
Well, just a follow up. Came home with geniune Apple adapters this morning, replaced the Bluerigger adapters, and it works. Can't decide if I got two "bad" adapters, or if they just aren't compatible with the 2012 MBPs but either way, I think I got taken for a bit of a ride. Not worth expending additional time and effort returning them though, so they'll be tossed. Lesson learned.

Thanks for responding :)

It may be your adapters - the 2012 13" MBP had some issues with some third-party adapters. I've bought a lot of things from Monoprice over the years, but their VGA adapter would cause my computer to hard freeze. That same adapter works fine on an iMac and the official Apple one works fine for my computer. I haven't had issues with Monoprice's DVI or HDMI adapters though, so it may be specific to what third-party manufacturer and their methods.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.