external monitor q's

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ETID, Mar 3, 2008.

1. ETID macrumors regular

hi im trying to buy a tv/monitor to use as a display for my macbook.

there are 2 that i'm choosing between.

A 19" 1440x900 res one with HDMI ports etc
    or
    A 22" 1680x1050 res with dvi and no vga.

I would like as many ports as possible to be more future proof (HDTV,PS3 and xbox 360 compatable etc) but will I notice a dramatic difference between the two resolutions.

If anyone knows anything I'll be very greatfull.

Thanks

2. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

HDMI is better quality than DVI, but seen as the macbook only has a DVI output then this doesn't really matter.

you can get cables that go DVI>HDMI, so goes DVI from your macbook to HDMI for your TV. It obviously won't utilize the sound though, in which an jack>RCA cable can be used at the same time.

to be honest, it makes more sense to go for something with HDMI ports instead of DVI or VGA because they will soon be phased out.

3. ETID thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the reply. Yeah I suppose the more ports the better because its not just being used for a mac but also for an xbox.

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

ummmmm dvi and hdmi are the exact same in terms of video, just that hdmi also carries sound...

and why would dvi be phased out soon? its relatively new on the scene for monitors when compared to vga lol. And vga wont be phased out anytime in the near near future as pretty much ALL display inputs still utilize it...namely the crt/ projection and lcd

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

Why? They are identical. Both are digital signals

I think you meant "HDMI is better quality than VGA" VGA uses an anlog RGB signal.

You don't say what you will be using the screen for. If you need the pixels or not depends a lot on what software you run.

6. ashjamben macrumors 6502a

sorry, my bad, my research was poor.

yes HDMI is equal to DVI in terms of video.

in terms of phasing out, i don't have any fact for vga, but it is inferior and surely one day be a thing of the past. also, altho dvi is the video standard at the moment, it is already being phased out on TV's. alot of TV's i looked out when shopping for one just had more HDMI inputs and labelled them HDMI/DVI, because HDMI is backwards compatible with DVI.

7. ETID thread starter macrumors regular

i'll be using the screen for an xbox 360 and regular mac use e.g safari but also for watching films and doing occasional photo work but I don't need a hugely accurate screen for that as its just for fun really.

If anyone has any good suggestions that would be awesome:)

8. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

tha what my brother does. he has his mb connected via vga and then his xbox by dvi ( as his monitor only has dvi and vga) with the audio going to speakers. you will have to get a hdmi to div cable for this to work but it works well

9. TheStu macrumors 65816

Well, for TVs, it makes sense to have HDMI, less prone to bent pins, and easier to hook/unhook. Plus, the fact that it carries audio across it makes everyone happy.

As for computers.... there is this new Dell monitor that I want, but can't afford (aint that always how it goes?), it has DVI, VGA, HDMI, Component, SVideo and DisplayPort on it. 3 different digital connectors, and 3 different analog ones too. It is crazy. Frankly, I think that DVI is going to be around for a while in the computer realm if only for one reason... as of right now, HDMI cannot send enough data to drive a 30" WS monitor (2560*1600)