External Monitor query

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Wiredrawn, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Wiredrawn macrumors regular

Ok, I have a Santa Rosa 13" MacBook, and was going to get an external Monitor.

I do a lot of Graphic design as well as Media work, I hear Widescreens are better for Media, whereas 4:3's are better for Design.

With the widescreen MacBook, would a widescreen external display be more true to the original screen, with better resolution, or would it be a waste of money?

2. jeffmc macrumors 6502

i wouldn't say either is better/worse

i would say that widescreen is the way the industry seems to be headed so i'd go with that.

on a separate, yet not unrelated note.. if you're doing design work, invest in a color calibrator. chances are when you plug in your monitor it's going to have a different, strange color cast in comparison to your macbook.

calibrating the monitors will make them both even, and give you true color representation for when you print or actually implement a design.

3. Wiredrawn thread starter macrumors regular

I hear Pantone make a mean colour calibrator, is that the kind of thing you had in mind?

4. jeffmc macrumors 6502

you got it!
    make sure it can handle multiple displays though, i've seen some that can, some that can't

5. Wiredrawn thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice, now I just have to wait till my next Pay-check :D