External Monitor Question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by abz786, Jun 7, 2008.

1. abz786 macrumors 6502

okay so i just bought a new external monitor today for my mb
    and was wondering, when i unplug the cable (mini dv - dvi), does everything that i have open on the external monitor go to the main mp display and re size or what?? even the icons that i move around do they go back??

also, is it possible to move the DOCK from the main mb display to the external, found out you can move the toolbar and the dock but just want to move the dock.

would love for input

thx

p.s if i were to buy a 2nd external monitor, possible to connect those 2 to the laptop?

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

1. Yes, if you disconnect like this than everything should kick back to the MacBook display. I've done this with my MBP -- occasionally think don't end up where you'd expect, or some windows end up overhanging the edge of the display, or are resized in awkward ways.
    The best way to disconnect (I find) is to open the display settings tab and click the 'gather windows' button. It will pull all of your active windows to that display.

2. I don't think you can move just the dock. It might be an all or nothing switch, as you've found, where both the menu bar and the dock go. But I'm no expert with external displays, so someone else could tell you different.

3. The short answer is no. Apple's portables do not natively support dual external displays. Even the MBPs need a third-party switch ($$$) that still won't give you the kind of flexibility you would get from, say, a Mac Pro with two GPUs.

3. abz786 thread starter macrumors 6502

hey scienide, thats for your feedback
    makes sense :)
    if anyone else out there has any other feedback, could they kindly drop a line
    thx