external monitor question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kelv1ntran, May 5, 2009.

1. kelv1ntran macrumors member

i have my alum mb hooked up to a samsung t240hd (resolution 1920 x 1200) as a primary monitor my laptop as a secondary monitor most of the time when i'm at home and it works great but when i wanna take it to go of course the monitor can't come with, however when i detach it and use my laptop all my windows go astray and its kinda annoying i open itunes and i see the corner of it since i usually use it on the other monitor or safari is in another corner barely seeing it does anybody else have this problem or know how to get around this? i shoulda taken a picture i'll try and get a picture of it next time and add this thanks

oh yea and its hooked up via mini display -> dvi

cliffs: laptop when taken off external monitor my windows are everywhere trying to find out how to solve this problem and have them centered like they should be

2. Sipheren macrumors regular

Sipheren

I would like to know this as well, I have started making sure the Macbook is closed when hocked up to my monitor as it tends to then put everything on the smaller screen when I unplug the external LCD and open the Macbook.

3. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

this happens to me... but it's just how windows are placed when you expand the desktop. my dock sometimes gets messed up too.

4. portent macrumors 6502a

Most programs will have a Window > Zoom command that will re-center a window that's off the edge of the screen.

For those that don't, quitting the program and re-launching it usually helps.