External Monitor - Resolution question

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by cooper83, Jan 25, 2008.

1. cooper83 macrumors newbie

My new MacBook is on order and I've been thinking about getting an external LCD display to use with it.

- I won't be doing any gaming or serious video/photo editing on it.
    - I will be using it to watch movies & TV (& possibly HDTV w/ EyeTV Hybrid) and web browsing/word processing/GarageBand etc.

I've been looking at Samsung, specifically the 206BW (20" widescreen) & 931BW (19" ws). My question is regarding resolution. The 20" has a resolution of 1680 x 1050 compared to the 19" which has 1440 x 900. I've heard that with higher resolution comes smaller text - so small that a lower resolution must be selected in order to read text without a microscope.

Given the two resolutions, which one would best suit my needs?

Aside from that, any opinions on either of these monitors (or alternatives) are welcome. Please note that I am in Canada and I prefer to purchase locally or from a Canadian website.

Thanks!

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Let me put it this way. My 17" MacBook Pro has a resolution of 1920x1200 and I still find it perfectly readable. 1680x1050 on a 20" looks enormous by comparison.

Go for the higher res. Unless your sight is really poor, you won't be sorry.