External Monitor Resolution

Discussion in 'iMac' started by CH12671, Feb 3, 2014.

1. CH12671 macrumors 6502

Is there a difference between 1080p and 1920x1080 resolution? I ask because at work I have to use a PC, and my monitor is set to 1920x1080 resolution. On my second monitor at home (27 inch) my iMac sets it to 1080p....and there is a definite difference in what "fits on the screen." In other words, my own personal website looks great on my 1920x1080 resoultion 23 inch monitor at work, but at home it looks way over-scaled, and half of what I can see on the work screen has to be scrolled to see on the bigger screen at home. I know it will look bigger because I should have the same number of pixes in a bigger screen, therefore the pixels have to be bigger....but relatively speaking, the same amount should show on the screen, shouldn't it?

I probably am not describing this scenario very well. I can try some screenshots later if needed.

Thanks

2. adamneer macrumors 6502

It sounds like your iMac is seeing your home display as a television instead of a monitor, which explains why it lists the resolution as 1080p instead of 1920x1080. They are both technically the same resolution but I believe OSx handles the output differently if it believes a monitor to be functioning as a television set. It may have something to do with the overscan of a tv, but I'm really not sure why it would be different, just that it is. You may be able to correct the problem by using a different cable to connect to your home monitor. If you are using a minidp to HDMI cable to your monitor, that may explain the iMacs behavior. If possible, use the DVI input on the monitor so you are able to display the maximum native resolution of the monitor and OSX doesn't get confused over what type of hardware it is.

3. andycho7 macrumors member

Random question: aren't those just matter of difference between 1080p and 1080i? Or are they three different resolution settings?

4. CH12671 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm not sure, but there is a definite difference in the amount of "stuff" that will fit on the screen! It is definitely handling the pixels differently. I am indeed using TB to HDMI, coming off of a TB e-sata adapter. I may try hooking it straight to the second TB port on the iMac (although I don't anticipate any different results) and, after that, go get a TB>DVI adapter and use it that way. Currently I only have a TB>VGA adapter, and my monitor at home doesn't have VGA.
    Thanks for the suggestion! I'll give it a try and report back.

5. CH12671 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I just gave it a try (I was wrong, my monitor did have a VGA connector). OSx definitely saw it differently. It lists the monitor as 1080p through hdmi, and 1920x1080 through vga. However, they both looked and scaled the same. I have a feeling it may have more to do with how chrome for OSx vs Chrome for windows is rendering the page......
    Thanks for the suggestions though! I still think it's interesting that it sees the resolution differently depending upon the type of connection.