External Monitor support for 2012 MBA

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by mattbaar26, Dec 11, 2013.

1. mattbaar26, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013

mattbaar26 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I am going to be getting an external monitor for school and whatnot and was looking for opinions/ advice.

http://www.staples.com/Dell-E2414Hr-24-inch-LCD-Monitor/product_390063
    This is the monitor I'm looking at, first off, can the mba support this resolution and if so, what are the adapters that I need. Also, could I also use this monitor for gaming if I had a headset? I have a ps3 now but am most likely getting the xbox one.
    Anyone have experience with this monitor?
    Thanks!

edit: I realize a gaming headset can just output all of the sound to my headphones so I'm all set on that aspect. Thanks

2. Miltz macrumors 6502

Yes it can. Thunderbolt to HDMI adapter. Apple Sells it.

3. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

It is actually a mini display port to HDMI adapter. Sorry to be pedantic. However, this monitor does not have an HDMI input, so I am not sure how that will help.

----------

The monitor has VGA and DVI inputs. Both are supported on the MBA by using adapters. I would recommend the mini display port to DVI adapter.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MB570Z/B/mini-displayport-to-dvi-adapter?fnode=51

I am sure you can buy a similar one from other places for much cheaper, but I use the Apple branded one for various monitors and it works perfectly fine.

I am not sure I understand your question about the headset. The monitor has no input or output for sound. You need to connect your headset to your computer directly.

4. mattbaar26 thread starter macrumors regular

So the DVI adapter would allow output at that resolution?

5. mrjohnnyglass macrumors newbie

As often as I try to skimp on cables, using mono price and the like, I always end up using the Apple ones just because they seem to be the most reliable and longest lasting.

6. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

That monitor is 1920x1080. Should not be a problem. You can go up to 1920x1200 with DVI - I am doing it at this resolution on my MBA with an ancient 23" Apple Cinema Display.

I don't really understand the headset question either. If that monitor has speakers and an audio input, you could connect it to the headphone jack on the MBA. And if the monitor has a headphone jack, you could connect them there. But the MBA does not have an analog audio input jack, only output.

7. mattbaar26 thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah sorry, I wasn't thinking right, I would just get a headset to go directly from the PS3 for audio if I used that

8. Miltz macrumors 6502

9. theSeb, Dec 12, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2013

theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No worries. Most office monitors do not come with HDMI. :)