External monitor the primero!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by icecoldart, Nov 24, 2012.

1. icecoldart macrumors member

icecoldart

Hey there folks, after 10 years of windows struggle i finally got myself my first mac, a macbook pro 2012 non retina, altho i had a good deal on it as i got the 2.6 GHz 8GB RAM for the price of the base 2.3 GHz model. Only downside is that it has the glossy screen, which is super annoying at times, but i can live with that.

So here's my story i'm a digital artist and having a portable machine is a great advantage as i can do some field painting etc, however when i'm back home i'd like to use my external monitor which i do ( bought the mini display port to hdmi converter) But no matter what i cannot set the external screen to be the primary one, which is dead simple under windows. Putting my macbook into clamshell mode is the only way, but that leaves me without a keyboard to work with and since we have only two effing USB ports it's crucial to save them for something more important.

I have two devices which are my top priority, a wacom intuos tablet and an external DAC Fiio E17, so that means i'm out of usb ports. Sure i could get the USB HUB and buy a wireless mouse and keyboard with usb recievers ( way cheaper than apples bluetooth products ) but adds another cost to a already expensive machine. Like i said the problem is not existent under windows as i can switch freely between the two, but i bought the mac to use it with it's own OSX for the sake of everything that's holy :p

I forgot to mention why it's important to work with the external as the primary one, let me make up for that.

The menu bar or whatever it's called like is visible only on the macbook's screen and i've set my intuos tablet to be mapped proportionally only to the external monitor for the precision of stroke making. And every time i have to acces the edit menu or filters or whichever photoshop submenu i have to mouse over to the laptop's screen to do so.

Is there any viable solution to this, some sort of 3rd party app or anything else? I can't believe windows beats Mac's in such simple task..

Please help fresh mac brother out i have it foronly 3 days and i'm trying to set everything up so that i can get to my optimal workflow again.

Thank you so very much and have a nice day!

2. rikbrown, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2012

rikbrown macrumors regular

Go into System Preferences/Displays/Arrangement and drag the menu bar (white strip) onto the monitor you want to be the primary.

[​IMG]

3. icecoldart thread starter macrumors member

icecoldart

Wow, how simple and embarassig i must say, but we learn on our own mistakes and by asking other people, don't we? :D

Much apreciated!

P.S altho i must admit, that i tried and it wouldnt let me, i'll try again.

4. mfram macrumors 65816

The "answer" to the keyboard and mouse thing are to get Bluetooth devices. The Apple wireless keyboard plus either the Magic Mouse or the Trackpad are the Apple devices. Then you can put your laptop in clamshell mode and not take up the USB ports for those devices. That's what I'm using on my rMBP 13" right now while in CS mode.

5. icecoldart thread starter macrumors member

icecoldart

Yeah that's exacly why apple made it work like that, so you spend even more money. I hate that kind of cheap tricks, but there's little we can do about it.

6. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Just curious about what monitor are you using?