External Monitor to my Macbook, Wirelessly?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by robtking, Apr 25, 2009.

1. robtking macrumors newbie

Hey Guys!

So I have a MacBook with 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and a new Sony 40" Class Bravia Full HD 1080p LCD HDTV (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9252004) and was wondering what I would need to buy (if possible) to run my new LCD TV as an external monitor wirelessly? I didn't know if this could be done through my wireless system in my house or maybe even an adapter on my MacBook and TV. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

2. Aboo macrumors 6502a

Hi,

As far as I know, there is no way to allow your make to display onto your LCD TV wirelessly. I don't believe that video signals can be transmitted wirelessly through your house. That being said, if you just want to stream videos/music/etc from your mac wirelessly onto you LCD TV, that would be possible. But like I said, I don't believe there is anyway to use your LCD TV as an external display without a hard-wired connection.

If you decide to go the hard-wired route, your best bet would be to get a minidisplay port to hdmi adapter and then an hdmi cable. This is assuming that you have the new unibody macbooks. If not post more details about your macbook so we can help you figure out which cables you will need to connect your macbook to your tv. Good luck!

3. robtking thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Aboo! It is a Mini Display port, so that might be the best option.

4. windowpain macrumors 6502a

Have you thought about an apple tv?

Maybe not totally what you are looking for, but it will get your media from the macbook to the tv wirelessly.

5. dvince2 macrumors 6502

dvince2

I second this thought. The only other way I can think of gaining full control over your mb would be to have a cheap computer hooked up to your tv and remote desktop to your mac,.... But the loss of quality would render your hd tv moot.

6. LERsince1991 macrumors 65816

You can get wireless HDMI now, I suppose its possible to do that just can't remember who made it.

maybe belkin or logitech or some tv with it built in like samsung or sony?
    or Philips?
    search on google. It is possible though, seen it advertised in a magazine somewhere