External Monitor w/ DVD Player & Quicktime Fix?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by rick3000, Aug 9, 2011.

1. rick3000 macrumors 6502a

rick3000

I downgraded to Snow Leopard after a day with Lion, it's got a bunch of terrible changes. Luckily, most of them can be fixed, Lion Tweaks, is a great app!

The last thing holding me back is DVD player and Quicktime not playing nicely with my external monitor. I have my MBP hooked up to my 40" and I like to put a movie on the 40" and surf the web on the MBP, which is not possible in Lion because of the poorly implemented fullscreen mode.

Does anyone know of a fix for this issue that uses DVD Player and Quicktime, I'm not a fan of VLC.

I want true full screen, not maximizing the video window to fit the screen and having the monitor background showing through.

Thanks!

2. Paul7 macrumors newbie

Full screen based on menu bar

Lion will default to full screen on the display that has the menu bar. So if you want to full screen on the external monitor, then you have to move the menu bar over to the external monitor (drag the white bar on top in Display preferences -> Arrangement over to the external).

But I agree that it's extremely annoying and you shouldn't have to do this.

3. AnneStuarto238 macrumors member

Just use VLC! Quicktime as media-player is crap.

[​IMG]

4. Paul7 macrumors newbie

Maybe for regular videos, but for DVDs, VLC is really crap.

5. xeqshunr macrumors member

Laptop Monitor

Then if you make the external monitor the "primary monitor" and you go full screen with an application on the primary/external monitor, what happens to the laptop monitor? Some people have been reporting the non full screen monitor just turns into some grey linen background that is an unusable space.

I am not upgrading to Lion until I have hear all of this external monitor - full screen business is resolved. I use a 23" HD external monitor EVERY TIME I use my MBPro....

Any knowledge would be helpful!

6. Hitrate macrumors 6502

Hitrate