External Monitor (Why no automatic switch?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MBX, Jun 9, 2009.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Here we are in 2009 after many many years of glorious PowerBooks, MacBook's/ Pro's and it still doesn't shut down the laptop screen automaticly when you plug in the external monitor.

Seriously Apple, even Windows can do it. So why do i need to close the laptop lid every time hook up to the monitor?

2. tekmoe macrumors 68000

This also bugs the heck out of me. I use an external monitor with my MBP and I hate having to put it to sleep first before being able to use the external monitor without having the notebook screen turned on.

3. zyoung86 macrumors newbie

I stumbled on this thread while searching for an answer to the same question. It's 2010 now, does anyone know if there's a way to make your macbook automatically shut off its screen when you attach an external monitor? This seems like an obvious feature to have.

4. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

why do you want it?
    whats the point of an extra screen if you just gonna be using one anyway?

5. leighonigar macrumors 6502a

This is kind of interesting. So many people get confused with the FN-fsomething display toggle on wintels that I can understand why Apple have done it differently. They never did like options.

6. bamf macrumors 6502

Are you using an external keyboard and mouse as well? If so, then just run in "clamshell" mode.

7. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

hahaha that's one way to put it, I prefer to think they choose whats best for the customers.

has ben stated above, that's what they for some reason don't want to.

8. zyoung86 macrumors newbie

The reason I don't want to run in clamshell is that when my laptop lid is closed the wireless connection is significantly weaker.

It's a pain having to shut the screen, then wait, then wake the system up every time. Is there a way to tell the laptop to turn of the built in screen as soon as an external monitor is attached?