Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

md1801

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
St. Louis, MO
I am curious to know if anyone has experienced any issues such as those I'm experiencing now and, if so, what was done to resolve them.

I have a brand new 2015 Retina MacBook that I assumed I could simply connect to an existing 24" monitor and be up and running. I've connected the monitor (Dell P2414H) via it's DisplayPort to the Apple branded USB-C Digital AV Adapter using a brand new, high quality HDMI to Displayport cable. I can tell the adapter is working ok because the USB-C charging works as advertised, and I'm also using the USB Port with an Apple branded Ethernet adapter that is working fine for internet connectivity.

No matter what I do (changing inputs, etc), I can't seem to get the display to connect to the new machine and it remains stuck in power saving mode. I've run monitor diagnostics to no avail, it just wan't connect. The monitor connects perfectly fine to my Surface Pro 3 using a similar setup (sans USB-C Adapter obviously). Can anyone help?

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
You cannot go from HDMI to DisplayPort, only the other direction. You need to go HDMI to DVI for your monitor.

Reactions: md1801

md1801

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 10, 2014
St. Louis, MO
I forgot to post back once things were working, so my apologies for the delay in expressing my thanks to you, zhenya, for helping me solve this issue! Much appreciated.

Reactions: zhenya
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.