External monitor with bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ramw5p, Dec 13, 2011.

1. ramw5p macrumors member

Installed win7-64 using bootcamp. MBP 15 - 2.0, ,mid 11 model. cant get windows in bootcamp to display on my external display? I read long threads online about this problem, but no one had a solution. Its not the cable, because works fine using osx, the "starting windows" screen displays fine, but when enter password comes on it stops. mirroring is on, computer says it detects external display...dont know what else to do. Any ideas????? Thanks, kinda sucks to have a big external monitor and cant use it for my windows stuff!!!!!!!

TIA

2. MacCrank macrumors member

I hope this is not true.

Im just researching and came across your post. I have a week old Macbook Pro i7 with AMD Radeon HD 6750M 512 MB. I run a Matrox Dualhead2Go DP no problem and looking to bootcamp Windows 7 to play games (battlefield 3) on my 2x 24" Monitors through my Macbook Pro.

Can anyone else confirm this won't work??

3. ramw5p thread starter macrumors member

Hi MacCrank

I research this a lot, because i also like to play games, and can't afford the mac versions when available, never mind there are not many available :(

Seems like its hit or mis, some people report no problems others can't get external to work in bootcamp no matter what. I am going to try using a different input [dvi] and see if that works. ill try it tonight.

4. MacCrank macrumors member

Let us know how you get on matey. Are you running just one screen plugged into thunderbolt? So no splitter unit needed?

5. ramw5p thread starter macrumors member

its a mess

Just one screen....MBP display and thunderbolt. SO i got both splays to work with a DVI cable, but with VGA no luck! VGA gives correct resolution with Mac, but won't work at all with external in windows, no dice. DVI works with both, but in osx doesn't offer the resolution i want..no 1650x1050??? who wants 720 P....go figure. SO i give up, monitor doesn't have hdmi, maybe that would solve issues???? SO for me, no way to have external work in osx and win :(