External Monitor with Macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by babond, Dec 28, 2007.

1. babond macrumors member

I've been doing research on external monitors and have narrowed it down to Samsung and HP. Right now I'm set on 19inches because I'm unsure of how the Macbook will perform on something like 22inches. Does anyone have any information on monitor choice and also the size? Also when I was researching on the forum someone told a guy he would need a converter to use a certain monitor for his macbook.... do I ned this or do I just hook it up and go?

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you will need a mini dvi to vga or mini dvi to dvi to use a monitor with mb

you can get these at bestbuy if they have an apple section or from apple

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I'm running a 22" Gateway perfectly. I've even gamed on it with my MacBook. ;)

4. bjett92 macrumors 6502a

Yes, you will need a converter to go from Apple's mini-dvi port to whatever the display uses. You can get them at the Apple Store or on their online store.

5. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

I use a 26" Samsung LE26R74BDX. It's primarily a HDTV, but it has HDMI and VGA so it's possible to hook it up to a MacBook for up to 1366x768 resolution. Not too impressive for a screen of its size, really - 19 - 24" monitor range can produce res of up to 1920x1200 (which is MacBook's maximum output anyway)

So, feel free to start thinking of a 22-24".... you could use a 20 or 23" Cinema Display, even.

6. babond thread starter macrumors member

ok so im familiar with what a converter is now. what about my monitor choices (samsung and HP). i went with these monitors for sheer cost purposes and have done research on both brands. im looking at anywhere from 19-22inches. any idea people?

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Have you looked at Dell's prices?

Are you looking for a USB hub?

8. babond thread starter macrumors member

nah... i just need a monitor. dells are nice but like $400. i only want to spend roughly $300. ive seen pics of people using the HP 22inch and it looked very good. and ive heard good things on the forum about samsungs.

9. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I wonder what Dells you're looking at.

I've found 3 20"-22" monitors for less then US$300 with a 3-year warranty standard.

10. thfreedumb macrumors newbie

the hp 2207 is awesome if you use spanning. haha. i didnt have good luck with mirroring.