External Monitor Woes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DaftZombie, Aug 14, 2011.

1. DaftZombie macrumors member

I've been wanting an external monitor to pair with my 13" MBP (Late 2010) and so today I finally plopped down the cash for one. It's nothing amazing, an HP LED 23" (2311x), however the results are not what I had expected. When I have it set up with the HP as a separate window, it has a great picture and fills the entire screen. However I intend to use it in mirror mode 90% of the time and when I do that it looks terrible. In 1080p resolution it bars the sides of the screen and everything is in grandpa mode (super large). In 720p it fills the entire screen but it's again in grandpa size. Is my MBP not capable of doing what I want it to do? I really hope not as I've been looking forward to this for ever now. Say it ain't so?

2. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Try setting it to the resolutions of your screens instead of 720p or 1080 etc...

3. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

This is actually a common issue relating to HP monitors and HDMI (whether connected to a Mac or PC). For some reason, the system will underscan the image, which is why you have the black bars around the edge of the screen. For my HP 2310m, I had to go to System Preferences - Displays and adjust the overscan setting so that the image fills up the entire usable area of the monitor.

Another possible fix is to use a Mini Display Port - DVI adapter and connect the monitor via that cable instead of HDMI. Overscan ceases to be an issue when using the DVI connection. I'm at work now, but I can post some screenshots of what I'm talking about when I get home.

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Mirror mode is limited by what your laptops display can do, which is lower resolution than what the monitor can do. just use it in normal display mode, and drag the menu bar in the display vies to the external monitor to use it as your primary display.

5. Inside_line macrumors regular

13" MBP: 1280 x 800 16:10 format
    23" 1920 x 1080 16:9 format

These are incredibly different screens, mirroring is going to make everything look huge on your 23". I would have went for another 16:10 format screen if you were thinking about mirroring a 16:10 screen... now your going to have to stretch or black bar.

I'd just run it in extended desktop if possible.

6. DaftZombie thread starter macrumors member

That'd be great. And like you guessed I am plugging in via HDMI. As far as the overscan fix- the only option I have is underscan, and it's not adjustable....?? I may have to try the MDP-DVI adapter...or just return it for a Samsung like I wanted. So does yours supersize everything in mirror mode as well? I really can't stand everything being so large.

7. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

That only applies if the black bars are all around the image. if it's only at sides it's just compensating for the aspect ratios being different.

The main issue here is that you're expecting mirroring to do something it's not supposed to. as already pointed out, just use extended desktop mode to use the monitor fully. You can still use it as primary display by dragging the menu bar to it in the display orientation window.

8. DaftZombie thread starter macrumors member

So it looks like my lack of knowledge regarding monitors and display stuff has bit me here. However with the menu bar atop the external monitor it is MUCH more convenient and I think I'll be able to live with it. Thanks for your help everyone!!