Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kingofdust

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 26, 2012
So I got the new MacBook pro retina, and I absolutely love it. Except it doesn't like to play nice with my LG external monitor.

I went to hook it up through the hdmi connection like I do on my windows laptops and the screen is really fuzzy and the color looks very washed out. So I have done some searching and couldn't really find a fix that accounts for both the fuzziness and the color washed out. So any help on this would be appreciated.

The monitor is a 1 year old 23 inch led 1920x1080 made by LG. it looks so amazing on my windows laptop but the apple makes it look horrible.

My second question is: will apps like Lightroom 4 that are not retina optimized and look bad on the retina work perfectly on the external monitor once I get it running right?

Last edited:

sutherland

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2010
Only thought would be to check the monitor's overscan settings, but as for your Lightroom question the answer is yes. When a window is on the retina display is attempts to load retina graphics (or scale when they're unavailable) and when the window is on the non-retina display it loads everything as if it weren't a retina display.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Go into display settings and make sure that the refresh rate and the resolution is correct for the monitor and also switch off mirroring, if it's turned on. I connect to a Dell 2412 and it's perfect, even though I connect in a convoluted way. rMBP --> HDMI --> HDMI to DVI-D adaptor --> monitor

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.