External monitor woes

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Kingofdust, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Kingofdust, Jul 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2012

Kingofdust macrumors newbie

Jun 26, 2012
    So I got the new MacBook pro retina, and I absolutely love it. Except it doesn't like to play nice with my LG external monitor.

I went to hook it up through the hdmi connection like I do on my windows laptops and the screen is really fuzzy and the color looks very washed out. So I have done some searching and couldn't really find a fix that accounts for both the fuzziness and the color washed out. So any help on this would be appreciated.

The monitor is a 1 year old 23 inch led 1920x1080 made by LG. it looks so amazing on my windows laptop but the apple makes it look horrible.

My second question is: will apps like Lightroom 4 that are not retina optimized and look bad on the retina work perfectly on the external monitor once I get it running right?
  2. sutherland macrumors newbie

Jun 25, 2010
    Only thought would be to check the monitor's overscan settings, but as for your Lightroom question the answer is yes. When a window is on the retina display is attempts to load retina graphics (or scale when they're unavailable) and when the window is on the non-retina display it loads everything as if it weren't a retina display.
  3. darkprints macrumors newbie

Jun 26, 2012
    Set your display prefs to side-by-side, and not mirrored.
  4. cosmicjoke macrumors 6502

Oct 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    make sure it's not defaulting to 1080i over 1080p as well....

you may want to try the app switchresx and create an output profile for your monitor's resolution/refresh rate if it's not properly detected in system preferences > displays

seemed to work for this guy w/ what seems to be same issue:
  5. theSeb macrumors 604

Aug 10, 2010
    Poole, England
    Go into display settings and make sure that the refresh rate and the resolution is correct for the monitor and also switch off mirroring, if it's turned on. I connect to a Dell 2412 and it's perfect, even though I connect in a convoluted way. rMBP --> HDMI --> HDMI to DVI-D adaptor --> monitor