External Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hook'Em2006, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Hook'Em2006 macrumors 6502

So, For christmas I am getting a external monitor. I was wondering what a good one would be for my MacBook Pro Early 2011 edition. I do photo editing and a lot of school/work stuff on it also. I really don't want to spend the money on an ACD. There are so many options I am not sure even were to start. Thanks.

2. thundersteele macrumors 68030

Given your current collection of apple devices, you should buy a thunderbolt display.

Otherwise, you should probably at least tell us what size and resolution you are looking for. I would go with a well known brand like Samsung, but I don't know which brand or monitor to recommend right now. Websites like tomshardware should have reviews and comparisons of external monitors.

3. Hook'Em2006 thread starter macrumors 6502

I would like one that is in the 20"-24" window. What I would really like is one that is comparable to the display on my MBP. I just don't want to drop the cash on an Apple Thunderbolt Display.

4. wikus, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2011

wikus macrumors 68000

wikus

Dell Ultrasharp U2410.

[​IMG]

Absolutely phenomenal monitor. Unlike the Apple Thunderbolt Cinema display, it has HDMI, so you can hook up other devices to it. That to me, is the deal breaker along with an audio out port to hookup a proper sound system to it. I very much doubt Apple's display does any better than tin canned crap sound quality out of those built in speakers.

For the price that Apple is asking for the Thunderbolt display, it should come with HDMI and audio out and a few extra goodies (sd/cf card reader, especially CF for professional use, ie photographers like me who would benefit from a big display and great panel).

Onto the Dell, its 24 inches, IPS, comes with a plethora of connectivity:

[​IMG]

And if you can get a deal good enough on it, you can score the beauty for $600, signifcantly less than the Apple Cinema display.

The other monitor I would recommend:

Asus P246Q

[​IMG]

Basically, its the same rebranded panel that the Dell Ultrasharp U2410 is using, but with a few extra goodies. It has a REALLY sweet function where it overlays boxes you can select from 8x10, 11 x 8.5, etc on top of the screen, giving you the ability to measure up the size of your document BEFORE its sent to print.

Its price is usually $500.

More specs on the Asus here; http://www.amazon.com/Asus-PA246Q-24-LCD-Monitor/product-reviews/B004NBZ994

I had the Asus, but needed to return mine as I kind of bought it on impulse when I'm lacking the funds (being a student sucks). Its a great monitor though. Very bright with vibrant colours.

http://www.amazon.com/Asus-PA246Q-24-LCD-Monitor/dp/B004NBZ994