External Monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fleawannabe, Jul 25, 2012.

1. fleawannabe macrumors regular

I plan on getting an external monitor to go with my new MBP, but I have two main questions. Will having the external monitor hooked to my MBP kill it faster due to being too hot? And is HDMI connection ok? I know DVI has a higher resolution but the monitor I plan on getting only goes to 1920x1080 anyways. This is the monitor I am thinking about getting.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...8540194330&skuId=4835351&st=4835351&cp=1&lp=1

Any input is welcome. Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it won't.
    Yes, it is.

3. fleawannabe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!

4. chiguy20002 macrumors member

5. TheMTtakeover macrumors 6502

TheMTtakeover

just a head up, I've had not the greatest quality when using HDMI for computer usage. I've reverted back to using VGA. Just my experience.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

HDMI works fine. It sounds like you had a specific issue with your setup.

7. fleawannabe thread starter macrumors regular

I already have momoprices MDP to HDMI adapter, should be the same?

8. TheMTtakeover macrumors 6502

TheMTtakeover

Very true because I use a TV with mac mini instead of computer compatible monitor. so yeah HDMI is probably fine.

9. Dre Sage macrumors newbie

Dre Sage

Does the HDMI include sound? Would like to play movies from my macbook pro with retina to the hdtv using an hdmi cord.

10. RealEyes macrumors regular

My rMBP gets pretty hot. Enough to where the keyboard is uncomfortable. Thinking about getting a usb keyboard so I dont have to touch it.

11. sos85 macrumors member

Just use a laptop cool stand :D:D make you convinent

12. chiguy20002 macrumors member

It should work the same. We had one here, the adaptor from MiniDisplayPort to DVI, and a DVI cable, and sometimes it disconnected and was flakey. We got the cable that had MiniDisplayPort on on side and DVI on the other, and it worked much better, as well as looked neater.

I would think the MiniDisplayPort to HDMI would include sound, but I am not sure as I do not have that particular cable.

I had to do that for one of my other laptops, and the external keyboard seems just a little easier to type on, as well as it having a number pad.

13. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I used to buy Dells, but it became too difficult to sort out all the feeds and speeds and slightly different models. When my excellent Dell 2405 died, I bit the bullet and got an ACD 27". Yes, it is more expensive, but if you are plugging in a macbook, the built in isight, speakers, usb hub, and power cable are really convenient.

14. RealEyes macrumors regular

Ended up getting the BookArc for Macbook Air and my Retina display fits fine!

15. TyroneShoes2 macrumors regular

This is excellent advice, and the right place to get this cable.

They also have an adapter (which you can attach to an existing HDMI cable) for $2-3 less, which is what I got from them. Either will work fine.