external monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by headviking, Sep 2, 2008.

1. headviking macrumors member

I have a macbook and would like to use a larger screen (LCD). How does the DVI-D hookup work? Where on my mac does the connection fit? Is is next to the firewire connection?

Headviking

2. andrewag macrumors 6502

You need to buy a mini DVI to DVI adapter from Apple. The mini DVI port is in-between the FW and ethernet ports.

3. headviking thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the info. I am new to the mac seen. I have been a big (the other) fan for years. But this year my son went off to collage and needed a laptop. My co-worker convinced me intop a macbook for my son, because no installation issues - plug and play - nor viruses - no calling dad to help fix a problem. Well the first couple of months my son had trouble using it because mywife and I were on it most of the time. Now that he has left home our computing has dropped down. I'me getting a Macbook Pro in a couple of weeks. The external monitor is for my son, to make his work a litle easier to view.

Thanks again

4. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

For what it's worth I run my Macbook through a 22" LCD when I'm at home. I use the Apple mini-DVI to DVI adapter ($19) to a DVI cable which in turn runs into my monitor. 1680x1050 resolution, and the Macbook handles it just fine, no problems at all. I'm also using an Apple wireless keyboard and Mighty Mouse, since I'm basically simulating a desktop but I have the portability if I need/want it (and I often do).

Here's a picture of my setup, for what it's worth:
    [​IMG]

5. wxaddict macrumors newbie

Hello,

jmb667, how can you get a 1680x1050 resolution? I think the maximum resolution (native) is 1280x800 pixels...

All I need is the Mini DVI to DVI adapter?

Thanks

6. ManInAShed macrumors newbie

All you need is the adapter (and the cable, but you'll probably get that with your monitor).

The macbook can even do 1900x1200 on a second monitor (I'm typing on it now). The limit of 1200x800 is just for the screen of your macbook.

7. lgibson macrumors newbie

this might be a stupid question, but i am curious as to how you have your macbook closed, and the external monitor is still functioning.

Is there an app or widget of some sort that allows the latest MB's to be closed and still work on an external monitor? Every time i try this, it hibernates/sleep modes. Looks kinda weird having to keep the macbook 2/3's open to get movies and whatnot to play on my TV. I'd like to close the MB and place it in one of the shelves in my TV unit.

Thanks!

L

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

As long as you have an external keyboard/mouse plugged in, after you close the lid and the macbook goes to sleep, hitting any key on the keyboard will re-awake it.

9. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

Osarkon pretty well covered it, but that's exactly what I do. I turn the Macbook on, close it and by the time it's done booting it's all on the external monitor. When I put it to sleep (Option-Command-Eject) it turns off the external display; to re-awaken it, I just usually hit the Esc key or click my mouse and it's instantly awake. Nice and simple.

External monitors support incredibly high resolutions also, as others have stated. It's only the built-in display that's limited to 1280x800. I'm loving my current setup; I highly recommend it to anyone who needs a portable computer but would like a large display while at home.

Hope that helps!

10. headviking thread starter macrumors member

Osarkon, you say when you have the external keyboard and mouse plugged in. How about wireless keyboard and mouse would this work aswell?

Headviking

11. milani macrumors 68000

milani

That's a really great setup. When I get my MacBook, I'm probably going to try to emulate that kind of setup. One question though: how are you able to have the MacBook active without having the screen open - wouldn't it go into sleep mode? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I have no experience with Mac notebooks! Edit: Oops, just read the rest of the posts! Forget I asked :D!

12. TelevatorsEsp macrumors newbie

What?!? Where the heck the is the Wii??

13. KYUSS123 macrumors member

Nice tips guys, i didn't realise you could do this with a macbook.

Hopefully Sept 9 will be new macbook order day?

Thanks
    KYUSS

14. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

That just puts the display to sleep. To put the computer to sleep you select "Sleep" from the :apple: menu.

15. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

Not according to the official Mac OS X keyboard shortcut documentation and my own experience; that command sequence puts the entire machine to sleep.

Option-Command-Eject or Option-Command-Power = Sleep

16. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

lol...not my style. ;)

17. CrockettGTO macrumors regular

18. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Yea it would work, my setup is the same as the poster who put a pic, except I have the wireless versions of the keyboard/mouse.

19. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

Sorry, I confused it with Ctrl-Shift-Eject, which puts display to sleep.

20. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

Funnily enough i just connected up a second monitor to my MB last night...works fine but the DVI adaptor is a bit prone to coming loose if the MB is moved around....

[​IMG]

21. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

Yeah, I've got several Iron Maiden posters up; the benefit of having one's own home office. :)

22. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

No worries; I couldn't for the life of me remember the key command sequence for bring up the Shut Down/Restart/Sleep dialog box last night, had to look that up, too. :p

23. jmb667 macrumors regular

jmb667

That's my experience as well; if I move my MB around on my desk too much while it's connected the connector comes loose and it gets confused about where it should be displaying.