External monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by j0ebeer, Apr 7, 2009.

1. j0ebeer macrumors member

Ok, I'm sure this has been asked before but what is a recommended size & resolution for using an external monitor? I just bought a Samsung 2233SW model and it looks great but there are some oddities in the various resolutions. The best resolution is when I use 1920x1080 but the sides of the screen don't fill up. Gives me an 1 and half of black bars on each side. If I set it to 1680x1050 it fills the screen but isn't as crisp and it looks like it gets stretched.

The monitor is 16x9 WS but not sure if I want to live with those black bars. I'd like to keep the monitor in the 20-22 inch size.

Again, sorry to post a redundant topic.
    Joe

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Unlike CRTs LCD screens have a fixed grid of pixels etched into the screen. The "best" resolution setting is one that exactly matches the number of pixels etched into the glass screen. This should be in the specs. Maybe it's called "native resolution" or something like that.

3. j0ebeer thread starter macrumors member

Fixed it

Found the problem. I was using the standard VGA to VGA cable that came with it and plugged into my MBP using the DVI connector but there was a digital cable that came with the monitor. Plugged that in to both ends and now it's fully in digital and using all of the screen.