External Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brandon2886, Apr 29, 2009.

1. brandon2886 macrumors newbie

So i have an external monitor i've been using it since i got my new macbook pro in January and its it works fine. When I'm using the monitor i want to make it my main monitor with the menu bar at the top and what not, and keep the macbook's screen as a secondary display for video playback while I'm editing. Is this possible with a program or a setting on the mac.

Thanks
    Brandon

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

System Preferences -> Displays -> Arrangement

Follow the directions :)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

yes its very possible, everything is supported by mac os natively.

when the monitor is plugged in and detected go to system prefs ->display -> then hit the monitors setup (i dont have my external monitor connected so i dont really remember :p).

here you can reposition the monitor and move the menu bar to a different monitor. click on the white menu bar and simply drag it to the other monitor.

4. brandon2886 thread starter macrumors newbie

that way to easy, yet hard at the same time. no clue you could drag the menu bar at the top. Thanks

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats how OSX works, easy for beginners - yet its quite complex once you start learing how to use it :) gotta love it.

6. brandon2886 thread starter macrumors newbie

they make things really easy, but not very obvious sometimes. I searched for this for a while before i posted here and nothing came up that specific.

7. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i guess it would be hard if you've never used it and have no idea what your doing. ive grown up on it since Finder 4 so its all i know.. there should be a website for "advanced things for beginners" or something.

8. brandon2886 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea, i knew about the arrangement section, just moving the menu bar but oh well its done now.