External Monitoring solution for MBP...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by NRose8989, Nov 7, 2008.

1. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Are there any monitoring solutions for my macbook pro besides the Matrox MXO?

I was looking at some TV's online and noticed that Vizio offers a 26" LCD display that outputs 1920 x 1200 which would be perfect for editing (assuming I calibrate it) and watching iTunes content while i work on other stuff.

I want something like the Blackmagic intensity but obviously i don't have a mac pro.

Thoughts?

BTW I'm using Final Cut, and working with 1920x1080i60 video.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

The MXO, MXO 2, AJA Io HD, and MOTU V4HD will all allow you to use an external monitor w/a MBP, but the MXO is by far the cheapest since it is output only. You can try and calibrate the Vizio to look 'less wrong' but the limitations of the tech used in consumer TVs will prevent it from ever looking accurate. Assuming your MBP is compatible w/the MXO the most inexpensive and pretty accurate HD monitoring solution is still the MXO + 23" ACD. It all comes down to your needs and your budget. Before I purchased an SD CRT monitor I used a regular TV that was calibrated as best it could be. While not accurate it was better than using my computer monitor and it was adequate for my needs at the time.

Lethal

3. ChemiosMurphy macrumors 6502

I second Lethal with the MXO.

I have one with a Dell 2408 Monitor and love it. The 2408 has a variety of inputs, 2 dvi, VGA, component, HDMI, and its HDCP compatible. There's a smidge of backlight bleed, but it's ok. If you wait you can get it on sale for $580. I justified the cost since I can eventually hook it up to a comcast digital box...

The standard "desktop cinema display" "monitoring" solution in final cut produces subpar results and the fine tuning on the Vizio probably sucks. Most TV's crank the brightness and screw with the contrast, so I'd stay away.

oh and the MotuV4hd doesn't have proc amps and is not Apple Color compatible like the MXO is. MXO is cheap, portable, and sweet.