External monitors

insonias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2014
Hi.

I have a macbook pro mid 2012 (non-retina) and i would like to know if it is possible to connect 2 external monitor to it.

I currently have an external monitor that it is connected to the thunderbolt port and i would like to connect to a Smart TV (LG) through wireless. Is it possible?

Thanks!

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Aug 22, 2014
You could use some wireless thunderbolt thingy
If such thing exists

Using a display is not a good idea though. Quality isn't good.

zwodubber

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
PA
This is when I was setting up the office, sorry for the mess. I usually keep the MBP and 2 22"'s on one desk and the PC hooked up to the 48's but are easily swappable.

I have 2 additional 22" displays and occasionally 2 48" displays, no issues here.

MBP in clamshell below 48's

PC on 48's (after doing wire management)

insonias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2014
Thanks for all the answers.

zwodubber, how did you connected your mac to the 2 external monitors?

One using the thunderbolt port and the other using a hdmi<->usb cable as it was suggested by Freyqq ?

BTW, you have a nice office (pic. 2 and 3) :)

So ... it is not possible to connect a mac to the Smart TV wirelessly? Even using airplay (if it works on the smart tv which i think it could work)?

Freyqq

macrumors 601
Dec 13, 2004

One using the thunderbolt port and the other using a hdmi<->usb cable as it was suggested by Freyqq ?

So ... it is not possible to connect a mac to the Smart TV wirelessly? Even using airplay (if it works on the smart tv which i think it could work)?
You could do it wirelessly using an Apple TV, but there will be lag. It will look fine for movies, but there is about a 250ms lag time between the computer and TV. All the wireless solutions have a similar lag.

As far as I know, OSX does not support miracast, which is what some smart tvs natively support out of the box. Only windows and android seem to support it.

zwodubber

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
PA

I use thunderbolt to DVI and The NewerTech Display Adapter from OWC for a USB to HDMI connection.

Sorry I left work or i'd shoe actual pics of the OWC unit.

Thunderbolt

OWC

insonias

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2014
I use thunderbolt to DVI and The NewerTech Display Adapter from OWC for a USB to HDMI connection.

Sorry I left work or i'd shoe actual pics of the OWC unit.

Thunderbolt

OWC

How much lag exists using that solution (using the usb adapter)? Does the computer consume more CPU or GPU?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.